Fuel Economy and Gas brand

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel Economy and Gas brand

Originally Posted by Antiriad
I have my 05 pre-owned hybrid for almost 2 months now and I am currently on my 2nd Gas tank. Currently I have about 33k Miles(still under warranty). FYI I am not driving my car that much. I have put maybe 400-500 miles so far

The first gas tank gave me 35mpg Highway or 31mpg Mixed for the whole tank( I was very satisfied with that), however after I filled the second gas tank I saw my milage go to 27 Highway at best or 21mpg mixed. I observed this behavior almost right after I filled up the car for the second time.

This is a MAJOR change in mpg performance. The other thing I noticed is that the idle from a cold start auto body part has gotten a little unstable(very slight vibration) which goes away afte the engine warms up. Other than that the car performed fairly good and the IMA seem to be behaving the same way like before.

The crazy thing is that I put the same exact gas(regular) from the same exact gas station. I do not know if this has something to do with the Winter gas blend.

For the time being the only thing I did has to add a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner.

Has anyone experienced anything similar relating with Gas type.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mike
Is it that bad to use different fuels?? Im having the same prob as you too bro.. I still don't wha to do with my ride

Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Gasoline from the various suppliers has different BTU or energy content. So changin fro different brands can effect FE. I use Shell unoxygenated fuel, because I have found it gets a little better milage.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

I have driven a volvo and honda civic hybrid. I've found that some stations actually have better gas than others...and you can't generalize by brand. For example, I have tended to have better experiences with BP and Shell stations, but one Shell station I bought two bad tanks of gas from. (Stupid me! Never go back to a station once you get a bad tank of gas from them!)

You might also want to experiment with different grades of gas. You can't always believe what others say because there are too many variables. With my volvo, I got definitively better mileage when using 93 octane. When using 87, not only was the mileage bad but the performance suffered too...the car was sluggish and made more noise when running.

There are many things that affect mileage. I have found that the mileage indicator on the dashboard of my HCH is VERY innacurate for short trips. For example, for trips of 20 miles or less it often gives figures as low as 35 or as high as 57, but my average is 42 and I am pretty sure I'm not averaging 35 or 57 on those trips. You should trust your own mileage calculations made at the pump. Always fill the tank up full and reset the trip odometer...then just divide miles driven by the gallons bought.

:-)

Old 07-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought an 05 2 months ago with 80000 miles on it. I drive at lest 100miles a day round trip to work. I get around 35mpg when driving 65. I go faster and it drops. I have only used reqular gas ususally the cheapest I find since its $4.00+. Most of my driving is highway too which helps me out quite a bit.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

80K?! That's got to be the highest mileage on an HAH I've seen so far. I think there are a few other members of this forum that are in the 60Ks. I'm only at about 47K.

I usually get ~42 MPG when driving 70 miles per hour. And I've gotten ~50 MPG when driving 55 MPH. I haven't done any worthwhile distance at 65 MPH to know what I'd get at that speed.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I bought mine used, the guy who originally bought it must have been a saleman or something. But if you think about it whats the average mileage a normal person puts on a car. Thats only a little over 25K a year. I put that on a car and I drive over 100miles a day going to and from to work. I would think the long distance driver would have bought these vehicles to save money. If you only drive in town thises cars would be a total waste.

You say you get 42mpg driving at 70mph? I would have to do 60 to get that. You using plain ol' regular gas?

Does yours ride very well? Before I replaced my tires it rode lousy. I drive on interstates, country roads and small highways. Been thinking about replacing the struts but thats another $700-800.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:22 PM

Yep, consistently. In fact, if I drive on relatively flat ground and rarely have to leave 70 MPH for slower traffic, I can get >45 MPG. I only use 87 octane. Once I had to use 86 and another time I had to use 88 because 87 wasn't available at those two stations. 86 octane is the minimum our cars can use.

Mine floats like it's on glass! I'm still on the OEM tires. Do you know what kind of tires you had before you replaced them? That would make a difference in ride quality. The struts shouldn't need to be replaced at 80K. However, I do hear you can improve on the ride quality with some nice aftermarket struts. But for me, it's not worth the cost, as the stock suspension feels just fine.

As far as tires are concerned, I've been learning an awful lot about them because I've been researching on which tires would be best for my Odyssey. I've learned the OEM tires are usually very good compromises between handling, ride quality, cost, and fuel efficiency. When you replace tires, you can gain/lose on different aspects of the tire. So, you may be able to get tires with better traction, but you'll lose a few MPG. Case in point, I found some tires about $200 cheaper than the OEM replacements. They're much quieter than the OEM tires and they handle better. However, over the course of 50K miles, I'll consume an extra ~$900 in fuel. $900 isn't worth quieter. And the traction of the OEM tires is just fine, as I don't plan on driving it in a spirited fashion anyways. Why I bring all this up is because maybe the tires you had on your car weren't a good match for you. And that's why the car rode so rough. And maybe now that you have different tires, you may see a change in your fuel economy. Let us know what tire brands you had and have now, as well as any discernable differences in MPG. That'll help the rest of us with HAHs that will be needing tires in the near future. Namely, me!

Old 07-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have been using only regular don't really attn. to the octane probably 87. I drive usually between 60 and 65 and the best Ive got was 37mpg. Thats with the cruise on. Tried without but can't stand it especially early the morning.

I bought this car and I thought the tires were the same but when I took a good look I had 2 different types but they were all Michelins. They all need replaced except 1. So I had a friend order me a new set of the Michelins MXV4+ what they recommended for this car. These cost mejust over $900 with installation. It gave me a little better of ride but not what I had in my 04 Regal. This suppension is not that good, because when I bought this car I put the Regal up to the Accord and both are the same length, so the length of the Regal wasn't the reason. I really lost trunk space with this car. I drive all type of road for job and I really feel the difference in the small highways that are rougher.

I don't have the money right now to buy new struts especially these thing my friend have he wants $200 ea nearly.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:32 PM

The OEM Michelins are very good on fuel economy. You should notice a slight improvement with your new tires. But, at this point, you may not know if it's because of the new tires or your clean air filter!

I don't know much about the Regal, but I can imagine the suspension in the Accord is stiffer/sportier than the Regal. That would explain why you're feeling more of the road. How does each car feel in a fast corner? The Accord more sure footed and the Regal tends to roll to the outside and float a bit?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Enthusiast

I have experienced that kind of problem too. My technician said that sometimes it depends on the gas you put.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy and Gas brand

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands