Fuel Economy and Gas brand

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel Economy and Gas brand

My last car, 94' Mits, would give me 37 mpg in the summer and around 33 mpg in the winter. Last April I traded for a 08 HCH. All summer it just got better and better. Starting in the mid 40's the 3d tank hit 50 and by the 6th mid 50's. Life was good, then 2 tanks ago I started having trouble hitting 50 (and less). Then it hit me, Colorado switched to winter blend - used to be MTBE, banned, now ethanol??? But it's costing me 10% on my mileage. My math says over the course of the winter it will cost me a full tank+.

Does anyone know of an additive that could cancel out what they added?

Thanks
chuck 6691

Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

COLD AIR is denser and causes more fuel to be dumped into the engine.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

So, is there anything one can do? Other than just suck it up [sic]?

Old 10-17-2008, 04:07 PM

Consider using a front grille wind block as seen on the "18 wheel rigs". There are custom fitted wind blocks that can enhance the "looks" of your vehicle. There is also "free" cardboard that can be zip-tied to your vehicle at almost no cost. How much of your front grille should one block? That is debatable and may require "trial and error". I have a FIA winter guard (do a goggle search) that has "flaps" to open and close portions of the grille block as desired. I'm out of here.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liderbug
Then it hit me, Colorado switched to winter blend - used to be MTBE, banned, now ethanol??? But it's costing me 10% on my mileage. My math says over the course of the winter it will cost me a full tank+.
Count yourself lucky. I live on front range in Colorado where we get 10% ethanol blend year round I see a jump of around 10% when I go on a road trip and fill up where there is no ethanol in the gas.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

I'm in Colorado Springs.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liderbug
I'm in Colorado Springs.
I should then fill up in Colorado Springs every time I go by there during summer. It is 10% ethanol year round north of Denver for sure and Denver as well I believe.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Antiriad
I have my 05 pre-owned hybrid for almost 2 months now and I am currently on my 2nd Gas tank. Currently I have about 33k Miles(still under warranty). FYI I am not driving my car that much. I have put maybe 400-500 miles so far

The first gas tank gave me 35mpg Highway or 31mpg Mixed for the whole tank( I was very satisfied with that), however after I filled the second gas tank I saw my milage go to 27 Highway at best or 21mpg mixed. I observed this behavior almost right after I filled up the car for the second time.

This is a MAJOR change in mpg performance. The other thing I noticed is that the idle from a cold start has gotten a little unstable(very slight vibration) which goes away afte the engine warms up. Other than that the car performed fairly good and the IMA seem to be behaving the same way like before.

The crazy thing is that I put the same exact gas(regular) from the same exact gas station. I do not know if this has something to do with the Winter gas blend.

For the time being the only thing I did has to add a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner.

Has anyone experienced anything similar relating with Gas type.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mike
First of all, whats with this website? Why is it soooooooo slow on loading, I have cable and this one of the worst.

Why did you have to change your tank?

I bought my 05 in May of this year and have nearly 100,000 miles on it now. I just tuned it up and thought I'd help it out by putting a tank of premium, not. I was getting around 34 mpg driving around 65 mph on the highway. I know its getting colder and is this the cause? I figured my mileage would improve by tuning it up.

Another thing, how do I reset the "Engine Service" light? The owners manual states to hold the reset button and turn the car on, not the engine. That doesn't work for some reason.

I was reading another forum here and it was about these engines may need a heater block to help out during extreme cold. I live in the midwest and it can get very cold here in IL. What do you know about this? Do most hybrid owners usually add a heater block? Thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by lebloom
Another thing, how do I reset the "Engine Service" light? The owners manual states to hold the reset button and turn the car on, not the engine. That doesn't work for some reason.
You may have read only the first two steps in the manual. Keep reading, there's one more key point.

1) hold the reset button down
2) turn the ignition switch to the ON position
3) wait 10 seconds...

Give that a try and let us know how it worked out.