Gearshift console light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Gearshift console light?

Okay, I have a strange question...I just purchased a used 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid and at the time of purchase, the dealer promised to fix a few little things I noticed were wrong. One of these was replacing the bulb for the gearshift (which I noticed was not illuminated). Now, without looking at it, they are saying the console is not supposed to light up and is fine. Can someone please tell me if this is true? Does your gearshift (between the seats, not the indicator on the dash) light up so you can see what gear you are shifting into or are currently in? I feel like usually they do, but maybe this car is different...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 11-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Gearshift console light?

I wasn't sure so I just went out to check my 2005 HAH.

The gearshift panel on the console is illuminated when the headlights are turned on. However there is no specific illuminated shift indicator to show what gear you are in on the console. The only place you see that is on the instrument panel dashboard graphic (assuming my vehicle is operating correctly)

I hope this was helpful.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks CT Yankee! This helps a lot.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast

Are you talking about the tiny LED light on the ceiling by the maplights that shine down on the shifter? There is no gear light indicator except on the dash.

Just traded my 05 HAH for a 2010 FFH.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new ride.

Robert

Old 11-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hmmm...I did notice that little LED but wasn't quite sure of its purpose.

What I am trying to figure out though is if the letters on the gearshift (P, R, N, D, etc.) are illuminated on the gearshift console so you can see them at night. It seems like they should be, but maybe not.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mafels
Hmmm...I did notice that little LED but wasn't quite sure of its purpose.

What I am trying to figure out though is if the letters on the gearshift (P, R, N, D, etc.) are illuminated on the gearshift console so you can see them at night. It seems like they should be, but maybe not.
Yes, I'm 100% positive "the letters on the gearshift (P, R, N, D, etc.)" are indeed illuminated from underneath the plastic strip on the shifter console when the headlights on the vehicle are turned on (at least it is on my 2005 HAH). As I said previously - on the console itself, though, there is no lighted indicator to show what gear you are in other than visibly seeing where the the shift lever is aligned on the console. The indicator is on the instrument panel.

The tiny LED light on the overhead console by the home link buttons robh2 was speaking off is a courtesy light that also comes on when the headlights are turned on. (you can adjust its brightness by turning the select **** on the instrument panel)

Last edited by CT Yankee; 11-22-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks so much again CT! I can't imagine any reason why my 05 HAH would be different then yours, so I will continue to insist that the dealer figure out why my gearshift console isn't illuminated and fix it as they originally promised they would. I really figured it should be, and I think they just don't want to get in there to replace the bulb. Thanks for giving me the assurance I needed to insist they look into it further this week.

Aside from this little issue, I love my new ride and hope you have enjoyed yours too!