IMA Battery Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation IMA Battery Failure

I know my join date and post count would indicate I'm a new user, however I am not. I used to frequent the forums quite a bit back in 2005/2006 when I first bought the Accord. I used the same screen name but it must have been deactivated from lack of use.

Anyways, in case anyone is keeping track of IMA failures I thought I would post mine.

90,000 miles on the car. IMA and check engine light came on earlier this week. Brang it to the dealer and and they confirmed the failure.

My appointment for replacement is next Tuesday so I can update then if there is any hitches.

Luckily I bought the extended warranty as I was told this had a flat rate of $2800 for replacment. With a wife who is a stay at home mom and another due in May I don't have that kind of cash laying around. Now that I know how long to expect the battery to last I can ditch the car in another 100,000 miles before it fails again.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery Failure

Appears the IMA failures aren't at a set mileage. There are a few that are well beyond100K and still going strong. Your replacement battery may last 250K miles, or 25K miles. Just no tellin'. Read through the threads in this forum and you'll see several of our members (small sample size, but still...) are over 100K, 150K, and even 200K miles and still on their original battery packs. Of course, you'll also find a user or two that had to replace their battery packs at less than 100K (like I said, small sample size).

Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 AM

Wait, is your extended warranty covering the whole cost of replacement? Or are you saying you have to pay a flat rate of $2,800 on top of the warranty?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Wait, is your extended warranty covering the whole cost of replacement? Or are you saying you have to pay a flat rate of $2,800 on top of the warranty?
No, Honda extended warranty is covering it all.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Sweet!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

My 05 HCH-I battery failed at 95k, I had no extended warranty so I had to eat it.
This irritated me enough that I bough a non-electrified high-mpg car to replace it.

I did learn that 10yr warranties are really cheap. If you can get those with
electrifed vehicles at that price I would say it is a no-brainer, given the wide
variability of battery life we have seen.

Remember the old days when the sages told us to avoid extended warranties
like the plague? Times have changed. :-)

Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmh3
Remember the old days when the sages told us to avoid extended warranties
like the plague? Times have changed. :-)

No kidding. I have a baby on the way and my wife is a stay at home mom. I have a full time job, part time job and two seasonal jobs to allow her to stay home with our children. No way could I pay this bill.

I've bought 3 new cars in my life so far. Bought the extended warranty on all of them. Used them on two. Twice so far on the Honda.

Overall I'm pretty unsatisfied with the Honda and will probably never buy another. The Honda quality just is not there anymore. My rear wheel wells started rusting at about 40,000 miles despite bi-yearly clay bar and monthly waxing. The leather on the drivers seat looks about 20 years old despite monthly cleaning and conditioning using expensive leather care goods. The front end paint is heavily chipped due to thin/weak paint.
I had a 2001 Mercury Cougar with similar milage when I sold it and it literally looked showroom new. Not a single rock chip or paint blemish and the leather seats also looked brand new. A;so have a 2008 Ford Edge we bought used that looks showroom new. Think I'll stick to Ford products in the future. It's the only brand I've ever owned that has never been in the shop.
Anyways, sorry for the rant. I guess I just expected more from a Honda....

Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: IMA Battery Failure

Yeah heard the 2005 have random issues here and there...not only Hybrid components. Apparently I have a 2006 and there is no problems as of yet.

For new owner wanted to or considering buying this muscle Hybrid (which are always RARE), stick to 2006-2007 no matter how cheap 2005s are offering.

First, 2006 have facelift. a spare tire and sunroof as standard.

Well...I might have said I didn't have problems so far. Actually I do but I am not sure if this is a Hybrid problem or not. Here in Canada it is getting a cold winter this year...I lost brakes ability when started car COLD in the morning...past few times brake hydraulic not working as if car is not started...pedal get stiffer as brakes are depressed few times...

Anyways will write up a new thread about this....

Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just for the record.
My IMA light set today with code P0A7F which means my IMA battery in no good.
I have 187.5k miles on odometer. I bought car new in 2007.
It's funny that besides IMA light is ON now nothing really changed in car's behavior.
I plan do replace my IMA battery with re-manufactured one from RE-INVOLT.
They have the best warranty: 3 years with unlimited miles. The other vendors don't offer such a long warranty term. They are probably pricey then others but for me the cost is not a decision factor.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Just a datapoint - my 2006 HAH has 152,000 on the odo and battery still going strong. Not sure why. Also have a 2006 HCH and I got the IMA light at 152K...

Quick Reply: IMA Battery Failure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands