Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery Replaced

spambot?

Old 02-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

Hello All,

I have some recent information about replacing the IMA battery. My basics: I'm the original owner of a Honda Accord 2005 with 105,500 miles, and it is out of warranty. I now live in MD but most of the car's history was in Raleigh, NC. When the check engine light came on, the Annapolis Honda service center said I needed a new hybrid battery, which was going to cost $4,000. So, and based on these forum posts, I contacted Honda America to see if we could make a deal.

So Honda cut me the following deal: $2000 discount off of the original $4000 price of an apparently NEW hybrid battery (not refurbished), which will have a 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty. Not the big discount I was looking for but certainly less painful. Their offer is good for 30 days and the price includes labor and parts. Once you accept, you contact your service center and let them know that you've accepted the offer and they will arrange for the shipment of the battery.

According to Honda, their decision is always case-by-case and is based on whether the car is within or outside the warranty, and how "loyal" you are to the Honda brand; that is, how many Hondas you have owned and, more importantly it seems, how often you service your car at a Honda service center. Ironically, since the Honda Accords are so dependable, I only ever needed basic maintenance, such as oil changes and the occasional new tires. Where I lived at the time, in Raleigh, NC, it was less expensive to go to, say, a Jiffy Lube or to buy my tires at Sears than to travel the distance to a dealer center. However, NOT having a consistent history with a Honda service center was a ding to my discount, even though the last 3 cars I've owned have been Hondas. Go figure.

After checking into local places that repair hybrid batteries, I found the cost of replacing the battery with a refurbished one with an 18-month warranty was less costly than as taking the Honda deal (about $1450 + $200 labor), but I figured it was worth it to take the Honda deal.

Good luck on your deals, Honda Accord owners!

Old 02-09-2014, 07:17 AM
Enthusiast

HybridMD back again to complete the replacement IMA battery story.

I just picked up the car (2/8/14) with the new IMA battery, and have further details. The good news: the "new" battery, that is, an existing battery shell with all battery cells replaced, ended up costing $1500, instead of the quoted Honda America discounted price of $2000. Apparently, the cost came down further because the cost of a battery from my local MD dealer was lower than what Honda America quoted. Also, because of the mixed warranty stories I've read on this forum, I had them put the 3 yrs., 36,000 mi. warranty in writing on my invoice. (I forgot to ask whether it was transferrable upon sale, though. Don't forget to ask.)

I still need to follow up with the service center to see why my braking/auto-stop feature is not working now, but I'll do so this next week.