Ipodding the Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Ipodding the Accord Hybrid

Success!

I decided to drop the bucks and go for the Monster Cable iCarPlayPlus ($79) FM transmitter. It's a single cable solution that powers the device AND charges the ipod at the same time.

I've read a lot about (and used some really BAD) FM transmitters for this type of thing (like the iTrip, etc.) and they've always been sort of tinny and AM-Radio sounding. This one works really well!

The nice part is that it's adjustable to any FM frequency above 88.1 (and holds three presets) so you can adjust the unit based on what free "space" there is on your radio between stations. The whole unit plugs into the power outlet in the armrest, and the wiring feeds through the armrest so that you can lay the ipod in the upper bin of the armrest (or run the cable out through the small hole in the front of the lip of the armrest lid, and use the ipod outside in the open. I liked this solution because the whole unit hides safely in the armrest so if you're doing a lot of in-and-out while shopping etc., you don't have to be constantly re-plugging the ipod.

Sound quality: it's certainly not CD quality and audiophyles will scoff at it, but if you just want to listen to your own stuf in the car, the reception is very similar to what I'm getting from the XM radio. Compared to the cheapie/junk units I've used before, this one is heads-above better. (Of course this is also going to depend on the FM stations in your local area, and whether you have an open "slot" to use the FM transmitter.

If you're looking to use an ipod in your car and don't want a bunch of wires running around everywhere, this is definitely one to look at. It ain't cheap, but it's about a hundred and a half cheaper than the Honda Audio Link option on the Civics (I really wish that would move out to the other lines!) Unfortunately you cannot manage folders/playlists through the steering wheel controls like you can with the Honda Audio Link, but this is not a bad solution at all, if you don't want people tearing apart your car to get at the radio.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ipodding the Accord Hybrid

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.