Just got my B1,4 service done (Timing Belt/Water Pump, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Just got my B1,4 service done (Timing Belt/Water Pump, etc.)

Folks just wanted to share my experience with a B 1 4 service.

That means I did my first 160k kilometres (10k miles)overhaul.

- Timing Belt

- Water Pump

- Auto Tensioner

- A/C Compressor Belt

- Spark Plugs (R1 Iridium NGK)

So I felt good knowing that all the major stuff are changed out....however...I find that Honda is playing way too "safe" considering the actual parts I got back from the dealer that was basically still GOOD.

The timing belt, materials and the condition seemed to be still excellent with no cracks...just some scuff marks from all the work it has done. The teething and the layers of the belt are still very much intact.

The water pump...the bearings are still turning pretty smoothly...and the gasket/seals seemed good also.

The auto tensioner the honda dealer told me it was leaking and highly recommend for the change. The part from physical looking onto it, I see a bit of signs of leakage...just a little. Maybe that's bad enough to create big problems soon.

The AC/Compressor belt...this is just a simple belt that drives the Electric/Belt AC compressor hybrid (belt operated when engine engages...electric driven at a lower speed when in Auto Stop mode...and when in the right condition...a bit of both). The belt also looked pretty ok...the honda dealer say they see signs of crack but when I look at it I don't see them. Maybe these are hairline cracks that a trained eye can see? But in my opinion, it probably won't snap anytime soon either.

Lastly the only thing I consider deserved replacing are my R1 Iridium Spark Plugs. The ones taken out looked somewhat oxidized and the smell burned (also the ceremic part of the plug are browned at the metal contact side too). All 6 looked just as worned out. Yes I think the plugs are dying soon....much deserved to be replaced as they are tired from the 160k!

Just wanted to share my experience with this service. I am certain everyone will hit this service sooner or later (or have already).

Overall I just find myself playing safe this time...I think Honda put a very high margin of failure for its components. I personally think my set of parts can be changed at a much later date based on condition...that's my argument points.

What do you all think?

Lastly of course this is just my experience...I still HIGHLY RECOMMEND at least play safe for the first 160k (100k) service. The 2nd one (which is due approx. 320k (200K)) I might wait out at least 32k (20k) more.

I appreciate any opinion and/or experiences about this!

Hope this helps everyone who are in doubt about the (4 subnumber) service recommend/required by Honda!

If you need pictures of the condition of my old parts, let me know.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just got my B1,4 service done (Timing Belt/Water Pump, etc.)

Thank you for this report. Very helpful for other owners approaching 100k miles.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes hope this will help everyone here!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just had the same things done on my car plus they included adjusting the valves. Didn't see the old parts, but wow what an improvement in power. Feels just like a new car. Barely touch the accelerator and I practically get whip lash. I do remember seeing the old timing belt from my Acura Legend and it looked to be in good condition even though I had gone 30k miles passed the recommended service interval. So yes I agree with you.