Lights on Switches Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Lights on Switches Out

OK, I hope someone out there with a service manual can understand my problem here. On the both doors arm rest the window switch lights have gone out. What must I do to repair this problem? Is there a fuse or must I open up the panel to replace each individual LED or bulb? My little user manual is of little to none use here.

Another question I have is about my hybrid battery. I have a little over 190k on my 05 HAH and my mileage dropped off quite a bit. I was getting around 32mpg and then it dropped 10 percent maybe more for some odd reason. This was happening for awhile and I decided to have my Hybrid battery checked. Honda checked the system all out for $200 and told me its fine. In fact they told me that they've seen these cars with up to 300k on them. They're not very helpful when you ask them questions about why the cars mileage drops off and whats causing it. Since its not my batteries meaning both the 12v and hybrid are both in good shape. I think they've given up on the hybrid. But my mileage doesn't drop off till it gets real cold and it was still 70 degrees out.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Lights on Switches Out

Originally Posted by lebloom
OK, I hope someone out there with a service manual can understand my problem here. On the both doors arm rest the window switch lights have gone out. What must I do to repair this problem? Is there a fuse or must I open up the panel to replace each individual LED or bulb? My little user manual is of little to none use here.

Another question I have is about my hybrid battery. I have a little over 190k on my 05 HAH and my mileage dropped off quite a bit. I was getting around 32mpg and then it dropped 10 percent maybe more for some odd reason. This was happening for awhile and I decided to have my Hybrid battery checked. Honda checked the system all out for $200 and told me its fine. In fact they told me that they've seen these cars with up to 300k on them. They're not very helpful when you ask them questions about why the cars mileage drops off and whats causing it. Since its not my batteries meaning both the 12v and hybrid are both in good shape. I think they've given up on the hybrid. But my mileage doesn't drop off till it gets real cold and it was still 70 degrees out.
While I haven't replaced the switch on this car, I have had the same thing happen on two other cars, and the fix should be the same. These systems are pretty universal.

The fix is actually quite simple and inexpensive. You'll just have to buy a new switch, remove the door panel and replace the switch. The switch itself is usually attached by just two screws and a blade connector (or something similar).

Both switches combined shouldn't cost you more than $50-60. If you have access to a junk yard , you might try removing the switch from a junked 2005-2007 Honda. This will not only save you a fair amount of money, it'll give you practice on a car that is not yours...

Last edited by cupcub; 01-08-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Lebloom,

May I remind you: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-manual-27130/

Also, when I get a chance, I'll see what I can find out in the manual. I've had the door panel apart while replacing the lock actuator. But, having removed so many panels over the years, I can't seem to remember exactly what the inside of the HAH panel looks like. I think the bulbs are replaceable, but again, can't remember exactly.

As far as the reduced fuel economy, towards the end I was getting a few less MPG over similiar routes. It seemed that when the car was new I could easily achieve >40MPG with an average speed of 70 MPH. But somewhere around 70-90K miles, I dropped down to about 35-38 MPG for that same stretch of road. Not sure the reason. I never had my 144V batteries tested, but my 12V system had a good charge and was able to hold a load with a tester.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Enthusiast

All cars lose a little in mpg after several years. Bushings, bearings and rods all wear. Gaps develop. The car simply doesn't operate as efficiently in 2012 as it did in 2005. My old Saab went from averaging about 27 mpg to about 23 mpg over the course of 9 years.

It happens...

Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not hybrid related, heck not even remotely related to the original topic of this thread! But, my 13 year old GMC got 19 MPG combined in 1993, and 19 MPG combined in 2006 (and 200K miles) when I sold her. Well except one tank where I got something like 11 MPG. Because I tracked mileage tank to tank, I knew something was off. After all, that's nearly a 40% decrease with no change to driving conditions! So I troubleshot and discovered a faulty O2 sensor. Strangely, no CEL! But then again, that was OBDI, which I'm not sure how well it monitored things like O2 sensors. So the next tank I again average 11 MPG. Can't remember how I discovered it, probably just by swapping, but that brand new O2 sensor was faulty. Replaced it a second time and all was well. I sure do miss that truck...

People can complain all they want that oil changes HAVE to happen every 3,000 miles and you MUST use synthetic or you risk wearing out your engine. I changed the oil in my truck every 5,000 miles and mostly always used regular oil. Engine ran strong for 200K miles, consistently got the same MPG, and still had good compression. And, I hot rodded it for most of those miles, so it wasn't like it was babied. That truck definitely saw some abuse.