Mileage at First Refill(24mpg)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast

I just refilled my Hybrid Accord accord today for the 1st time. I burned 10.344 gallons of fuel to go 248.5 miles for a mileage of about 24.0 mpg. For what it is worth, the cars trip computer recorded a cumulative mileage of 23.3 mpg. This is mostly in city driving short trips (20 min) in cold Boston weather. 80 miles were highway driving where I was averaging about 34 mpg. In short trips in cold weather, some of the hybrid functionality doesn't kick in until perhaps 5-15 minutes in to the trip.

When I added the mileage for my car "Firefox" to the database, the Honda Accord Hybrid showed up as "not a hybrid", so I will let the site owner (Jason) know to add it.

Old 12-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

that figure sounds about right for normal driving

Old 12-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Mikemc:

___Jason is in the Caribbean and won’t be back until after the Holidays. Just keep adding to your Tank Data as time goes on and Jason will add the Accord Hybrid in its own category in the RWHMDB as soon as he is back. We have already attempted to add as much factual information about the Accord Hybrid as we could find so make sure you visit the Accord Hybrid Forum here at Greenhybrid to help improve upon what we have already provided/found when you can.

___There are quite a few tips and tricks the site will provide to you on improving what FE you have already achieved. Short trips from a cold start are about the worst thing we can do but unfortunately, that is what happens in the winter season … I come from just North of Chicago so I know all about these darn cold temperatures as of late

___Good Luck and welcome.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 12-29-2004, 06:26 AM
Site Founder

Howdy from the Caribbean! I just made a post in another thead about this issue. I'll fix ASAP, but in the meantime, don't worry about it. Just a display issue.

Glad to have some Accord reps!

Old 12-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast

I got my HAH on 12/26 and now have ~250 miles on it in mixed city/highway driving. Still haven't filled it up at all to see how my calculated economy compares to the car's number. My trip odometer economy meter shows 25.5 - I tried a 5 mile or so run on the highway with cruise engaged and got 32. Obviously it is too early and there is too little mileage to really see what will happen but I figure that the mileage won't get any worse given that I am driving a non-broken in vehicle in a bitter cold Cleveland winter (but the temps are actually staying above freezing today!).

I had almost no experience with hybrids before. I previously owned a Saturn VUE which I really did like but I got tired of the mileage which was starting to average 20-21 even with alot of highway driving. I looked at the escape a little but a combination of questions about how well Ford would pull this off on their first try and the fact that the mileage seems to lag a bit particularly given my driving environment. My main concerns with the HAH were the trunk/storage space and the spare tire situation. I got spoiled by my VUE which could take just about anything short of a lawn tractor that I might buy at Home Depot. Now I just have to plan ahead a bit more.

With the exception of the auto stop feature there is no doubt that anyone could get in one of these cars and drive it and really not know anything different was going on. Of course your mileage would suffer. It has taken some adjustment for me to maximize my time spent in eco mode but these are, in retrospect, just good fuel efficient driving techniques anyway.

The auto stop feature has taken a little more adjustment on my part, mainly to avoid unecessary starts and stops (I sort of stress about the strain on the engine and am trying to avoid those cases where it auto-stops only to restart immediately):

The loss of engine braking when the engine shuts off as you come to a stop caught me off guard at first but now it's not a big deal. In order to not have the car jerk backwards after stopping I have always let up on the pedal at the last second and I am still working on making this work with the auto stop so it doesn't restart. I do worry after a hard stop that leaving the brake on relatively hard may contribute to rotor warping due to uneven cooling but maybe I am overly obsessive with that sort of thing.

One mild annoyance is that when turning at slow speeds (the roads are a bit slippery) the auto stop will kick in briefly and then the engine restarts almost immediately. Perhaps there are some software tweaks to put in - maybe the car would not auto stop when the wheel was turned more than x degrees or whatever.

It also seems like Honda could have tweaked the electric motor to boost more, particularly when in eco mode. I feel like too often the engine drops out of eco mode without even trying to electric boost instead for those little speed adjustments like over a gentle hill on the highway. I suspect that the engineers intentionally traded off economy in this case for guaranteed instant power on demand to make mainstream drivers more happy. The way I see it is the car should at least try to use the electric motor and stay in eco mode unless you really punch it.

One final comment, even though I haven't really been able to really air this car out due to the weather I think you can really notice the boost from the electric motor when accelerating hard in higher speed transitions (like passing on the highway or merging from 40-70, etc.) The way it shows up is that the power is ready immediately instead of the usual little pause after the car downshifts. After that first few seconds the power then just feels like a normal V6.

Just some ramblings from a hybrid neophyte,

Craig

Old 12-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Contributor ($)

Craig,
Thanks for some real-world feedback about the AH. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future. As you stated a non-broken in vehicle in cold weather will do better in the mpg arena once warmer weather hits. Good luck in testing your AH's features.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

My main concerns with the HAH were the trunk/storage space and the spare tire situation
I ordered a high-pressure mini spare from my dealer (haven't seen it yet) along with the bolt and top "nut-like" tire hold-down. I am assuming that it will fit since the Canadian HAH appears to come with the mini spare as standard. Will report when it arrives and I install it.

Cold weather is a serious negative impact on mileage - much longer to warm up and get the hybrid elements working. Nevertheless, with about 2000 miles on my HAH, with a high percentage of highway miles, temperatures from the 70's down to below 0, average fuel economy is above 30. I will have another 1000 miles on the car in a week and the results will be posted in the database, but with prudent driving, I would expect to be able to average around 40 mpg on non-interstate highway driving in warm, e.g., above 50 deg F temperatures.

Agree with the comment on assist not helping much while in VCM mode. I note it once in a while, but not often. Under light acceleration, assist kicks in frequently just before entering VCM mode.

Extex

Old 01-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

Let me know how the spare tire add on works out, I would be interested in that if it would fit in the little storage area under the trunk.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Site Founder

Database's fixed, btw.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___It looks great! Did you notice how close Extex is to the magic 33 mpg average? Just 1 more good tank and he should make it

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: Mileage at First Refill(24mpg)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands