Navigation System for 05 Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Navigation System for 05 Accord Hybrid

I don't know if this can be done or not but I have a 05 HAH and it on has the standard radio w/ XM. I was wandering if it would be possible to install the navigation system or if someone has already done it? I don't understand why Honda didn't install them in all 05 HAH's for as much as they originally charged for this car. This car cost 30K brand new and to tell you the truth there isn't anything really special about the car but the hybrid batteries, you know? Oh, sure I get better gas mileage than the car I origially bought which was the 04 Regal GS but thats all. I had a better ride, better interior, stereo system, etc. I bought this car because I drive a lot for work and I needed something more economical. Now that gas is back down I miss all of the luxuries I had in my Regal. But back to my original question, I just wondered if putting the navigation system in my car would be possible and just how much time consuming plus cost would there be?

Last edited by lebloom; 01-28-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Navigation System for 05 Accord Hybrid

I can imagine it would be pretty costly to retrofit the Navi system into the HAH. It's not just the Navi head unit that you'd have to replace. There are other wires running to sensors that you'd have to get too.

Maybe you can try to find a wrecked HAH w/Navi in a junkyard and see what they'd be willing to sell the Navi components for?

For what it's worth, I have the Navi in my HAH. I love it. But, my wife's Garmin was 1/10th the cost and updates are only about $60, compared to the $185 for the Navi. Not to mention, anytime we drive another car (borrowed, rentals, etc) it's really nice to be able to take the Garmin with us since it's portable...

Old 01-29-2009, 02:23 PM
hypermiler wannabe

Plus the Garmin's UI and screen res is 10x better than the Honda Navi; the only downside is wires and mounting hardware. I agree w/ Keith that having the built-in unit rocks for XM station details, trip computer info, but the actual navigation portion is sub-par for this the 21st century.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry to revive a dead thread but...

Yes, it is possible and I have done it. It was VERY complex and to anyone interested I can provide a list of required parts. I also recommend, for simplicity sake, not mounting the DVD drive in the trunk like the non-hybrids have, but instead getting the navi version of the lower dash bin which is where it normally goes. This will make wiring far FAR easier.

I'm very proud of this install as it was my first foray into car modification and I have no EE background or experience prior.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast

There's a guy on ebay Acurahondatech that has been doing it for a long time he will sell you everything for $1500 and give you instructions on how to do it. He has been doing it for a long time and knows all the pitfalls. The killer part of the whole job is if you use the factory wiring harness for the nav you tear you hair out tracing down the wiring. He builds custom harnesses that make that make it more plug and play.

Not cheap though. The navigation was the only factory installed option. It was much easier to do it before everything is buttoned up.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, Acurahondatech is brilliant in this regard and very helpful. Honestly, I'd say it is worth every penny. I want to do a carputer in my Accord but the integrated climate controls make it cumbersome so that project is about a year off.

My advice: pay the $1500 for Acurahondatech's package. I did it all myself and only saved a couple hundred bucks.

-Ryven