No More Accord Hybrid !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Honda may cut production of Accord hybrids

NEW YORK — Honda Motor Co. (HMC) may cut production of the Honda Accord hybrid because sales have been so slow, Honda Executive Vice President Dick Colliver said Thursday at the New York Auto Show.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,191681,00.html

This shouldn't come a suprise, but it's still news.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned
Default Re: Honda may cut production of Accord hybrids

Different article on same topic: While Accord hybrid production will be reduced, Insight sales are up 15%, and Civic hybrid sales are strong.

Could this be a hint of what will happen to Lexus LS 600h sales? (another power hybrid)

Old 04-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

wow- I knew it would be killed off once the Camry got a foothold, but even before- that's impressive.

So I've got... a collectors item. Whodathunkit?

But its a collectors item that got me 49mpg on the way home today (draft assisted).

Old 04-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Banned

I do remember an unusually positive review on the AH.

For those that remember the Accords in the 70's, the 2006 hybird Civic would seem like a hybrid Accord in size and performance. Maybe a makeover would do the trick on the real Accord.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I'm not terribly surprised either. I think Honda missed the mark on this one. I drove one, and liked it a lot (what's not to like about 255 hp?). But the 30/38 MPG just doesn't do it for me (not when I'm getting 45-50). I think if they produce a 4-cyl version where the mpg was say 35-45, and back it down from the top trim level so the price is in the mid/upper 20's, they'd have a lot more interest.

My 03 HCH is about the same size as my brother's 95 Accord, so it would seem like the new Civic is sized close to the older accords - probably until they redesigned away from the mid-90's body style.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Banned
Default Ironic

The Civic was not in Car and Driver's 10 best cars.

The Accord was.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
I'm not terribly surprised either. I think Honda missed the mark on this one. I drove one, and liked it a lot (what's not to like about 255 hp?). But the 30/38 MPG just doesn't do it for me (not when I'm getting 45-50). I think if they produce a 4-cyl version where the mpg was say 35-45, and back it down from the top trim level so the price is in the mid/upper 20's, they'd have a lot more interest.

My 03 HCH is about the same size as my brother's 95 Accord, so it would seem like the new Civic is sized close to the older accords - probably until they redesigned away from the mid-90's body style.
What they should have done is either what you suggest, and have produced the 4 door sedan in a 4cyl model hybrid OR taken the same drivetrain and put it in the 2 door coupe. But having the performance hybrid system in a boring 4 door sedan certainly wouldn't float my boat

Old 04-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Rarely post anything

Well, the first problem to that scenario is that the K24 / 5AT drivetrain won't accomodate IMA - there's not enough room in the engine bay, and it would interfere with the front suspension.

W/ regard to putting it in the coupe...

> 80% of Accord sales are sedans
< 20% of all Accords are V6-equipped

By putting it in the coupe, Honda probably figured it would be a 'niche within a niche' - the best probability of meeting the 25K sales target would be in the sedan. Also, I'm not sure if the JMA V6 would fit in the coupe, but I'd have to check on that.

IMO, it was the pricing that turned most people off, from my personal experience when I spoke to people about the car. $31-33K for an Accord is too much in many people's books - they'll start looking at Acura / Lexus / Infinity (as I did, but still chose the Accord Hybrid). One dealer rep mentioned his primary market for the car was people trading out of MB / BMW / Audi - almost the same power / amenities, but 30% or more better mileage, at 60% of the cost. For them, it becomes a value proposition again, the same as for most people when they buy their LX 4-cylinder for $17K or so.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It is not physically possible to fit the current 4cyl plus a 5AT plus IMA in the engine bay of the current Accord. The V6, though larger overall, is narrower in transverse (think 3 cylinders wide, instead of 4), and does accomodate the IMA package. Barely.

So...Honda thought they'd go with what they had available, short of a ground-up redesign. My thoughts on the engine and other (marketing) failures of Honda wrt the AH are posted in several threads around here.

I still wish it were possible to do IMA on the 4cyl from the start. RIP. That, and a $25k pricetag would have been a category killer. Hopefully we'll see a reincarnated HAH when they do a respin, but the Camry will have a leg up by then.

edit: I see G&B beat me to it re: engine compartment

Old 04-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default No More Accord Hybrid !!!!

So, I read this in the paper this morning:

Honda may drop hybrid
Company execs re-evaluating slow-selling Accord
By Dee-Ann Durbin Associated Press

NEW YORK - Honda Motor Co. may cut production of the Honda Accord hybrid because sales have been so slow, Honda Executive Vice President Dick Colliver said Thursday at the New York Auto Show.

Colliver was the second executive in as many days to question the direction of hybrid sales during media previews for the show, which opens to the public today. Nissan Motor Co. Chief Executive Carlos Ghosn said Wednesday that hybrid sales appear to be slowing down, something he has warned could happen as consumers decide whether hybrids are worth their additional cost.

Colliver wouldn't give exact sales for the Accord hybrid, which went on sale in December 2004, but said they make up a tiny percentage of Honda's overall sales. Overall Accord sales were down 4 percent last year, according to Autodata Corp.

"We've had to re-evaluate our position," Colliver said. "It's having a hard time in the market."

Colliver said a decision on the Accord will be made sometime this year.

Not all hybrids are suffering. The Honda Insight hybrid saw sales jump 15 percent last year, and Colliver said sales of the Honda Civic hybrid remain strong. The company expects to sell 25,000 hybrid Civics this year, or 8 percent of its total Civic volume.
system is paired with a V6 engine, compared to the smaller 4-cylinder engine in the Civic, and consumers aren't convinced it will offer them any fuel savings.

Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus luxury division is betting that consumers eventually will adopt so-called performance hybrids like the Accord, which give vehicles a bigger engine with better fuel economy and lower emissions.

The 2008 Lexus LS 600h, introduced at the New York show, is the first luxury vehicle to pair a powerful V-8 engine with a hybrid system. The combination gives the 600h the power of a 12-cylinder engine with the fuel efficiency of a smaller vehicle. Lexus said the sedan will have fuel economy ratings equal to or better than some mid-sized luxury sedans. But Colliver said he's not convinced consumers will embrace performance hybrids. "We're still looking at where's the best package for hybrids," Colliver said. "We're going to have to watch the market."

What a bummer!!!

Howard

Last edited by Jason; 04-14-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: No More Accord Hybrid !!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands