Over 27% of HAH database users over EPA avg.!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Over 27% of HAH database users over EPA avg.!

As seems to be the norm for all Honda hybrid lines, over 1/4 of the HAH drivers (that report to the database) are over EPA averages! And 3 more are within 1 mpg of the average!

I don't know about the rest of you, but the FE combined with the power (which you, obviously, have to temper to get these results...), comfort, amenities, and low wind/road noise... this is a great car!

Last edited by Tink; 05-05-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Over 27% of HAH database users over EPA avg.!

Umm…you better hope Xcel doesn’t read this post, or he’ll be reminding you that 75% of the owners *don’t* achieve EPA – including me. And I *work* at this…

Seriously…I’m not sure if .003 % of registered HAH owners (22 cars, as of this writing) is a very representative sample – there have been approx 7250 sold from Dec 8 – Apr 30 (I don’t have the February figures, or I’d be exact…lol) That’s what I’d like to see – maybe a 10% sample, or 725 people. But the only people who know who those 725 people would be, is – Honda.

PS: I know that there's not 10% of Prius II owners here, etc, etc. But I do know that before I found the various hybrid / FE sites - I thought 24mpg in my 6th-gen EX-V6 coupe was 'good', and that I was probably at the top of the envelope with that car ...ignorance is bliss, as they say... To h*ll with the mandated tire pressure monitors - let's get an instantaneous FE gauge in every car sold!

That being said…the 7th-gen Accord continues to elevate the standard for all previous generations of this car (except for exterior styling, which is a shame, but it's about to be addressed come September). The fact that it’s even more fuel-efficient & cleaner is icing on the cake.

I’ll tell you though…now I want a car that’s even *more* fuel efficient, now that I’ve had my first ‘lil taste of ‘real’ FE – to the point that I’m willing to sacrifice amenities / power in order to have it. Ok – maybe not an Insight – that’s a little less refined than I’m willing to tolerate. But I’m going to be looking closely at the new HCH, once it’s been out for a year. And the new Camry Hybrid should be out by then as well (I know – blasphemer!) We’ll have to see what happens

Old 05-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's why the growing sampling of hybrids is so great! I think this is the perfect mix of power/FE/comfort. I like the power available IF I need it... or want it. Granted, I rarely use it; but there is the occasional passing situation.

Thanks to the increasing popularity and selection, you can find the one that fits your new desires.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tink:

___It was only a few months ago I posted ~ 25% of GH - hybrid owning members (this included the AH, Escape HEV, HCH, Insight, Prius I and II’s) that were posting tank over tanks were hypermilers … I will look at it again in a few days. In any case, the AH is truly a first rate hybrid with only the just released RXh having more amenities and none having its real world performance!

___As GreenAndBlue mentioned, I bet most hybrid owners that are not achieving hypermileage have unique and undesirable driving conditions and/or terrible routes (cold temps, short commutes, mountains, continuous high elevation rolling hills, 70 + mph speed limits, heavily congested city routes, or unbelievable traffic as GreenAndBlue has to endure ) that kill them because anyone with an averaging and especially those with an instantaneous FCD can adjust their habits to achieve hypermileage imho.

___My Honda bias will show in the following … All except for the Prius II owners as the % achieving hypermileage status falls far short of the Honda hybrid owners as a whole. I have my own opinions as to the reason why but I will save that for a more animated thread when the opportunity presents itself

___Finally, my PZEV has certainly proved its worth in the FE to date but given my driving style, I would have preferred a 2.0L i-VTEC variant of the K24 (a K20 if one was available?) or the European 2.2L iCDTi instead. I will simply never use the K24’s 160 HP/161 Ft.-Lb’s under any condition that I can think of but I can certainly understand those w/ the AH’s far superior performance capabilities that would and do

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Wayne

I have noticed the EPA hypermiler discrepancy between HCH and Prius II also. I'm unsure what the reasons are, but the higher threshold of the Prius II -- despite it being a heavier car is certainly playing a part. In general, I tend to guess that at least some of the tricks that non-Prius cars can easily take advantage of, are built in to a full-hybrid design. ICE off at low speeds is an obvious one; driving with load, another.

As more and more of the general populace buy hybrids (and moderate their usual driving habits less), it will be interesting to see which design does better.