Parallel parking on a steep hill

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Enthusiast
Question Parallel parking on a steep hill

How well does the HAH Idle-Stop (Auto Stop) and Traction Control System (TCS) work when parallel parking on a steep hill (e.g. in San Francisco)?

Does parking when pointing uphill or downhill matter?

With a regular car, I just use the brake and feather in the accelerator when wanting to go slowly uphill (either in Drive or Reverse).

In this scenario, the car is moving less than the 10 mph threshhold for idle-stop and the break pedal is not yet fully released. Does the engine turn/stay on? Or does it cycle on and off as one changes directions?

I'm probably over-analyzing this. I would expect that these hybrid functions are transparent/seamless to the driver and that the HAH would work just fine.

Best regards,
- Gary.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Parallel parking on a steep hill

Does the accord have the econ button? Deselect that mode... and your car will not auto stop during that period of time.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a feeling that if the incline is steep enough (and I'm not sure how much enough would be) that the HAH will not AutoStop. The transmission already has a way to detect the grade of the road (GradeLogic) so it isn't too much of a stretch to think that the AutoStop programming will also make use of that information. OTOH, the electric motor produces a lot of low rpm torque (100 lb-ft @ 800 rpm) so if necessary it could overcome quite a steep grade and still start the ICE.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Does the accord have the econ button? Deselect that mode... and your car will not auto stop during that period of time.
No button to deactivate AutoStop. I'd actually like a manual AutoStop button that would stop the engine and keep it stopped as long as it was depressed.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

No ECON button like the HCH had. However, you can put the transmission in 2nd gear and that disables autostop. (Also doesn't autostop in reverse). So if you do happen to have trouble with autostop engaging when you don't want it at slower speeds, just drop down to 2nd gear.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VMA131Marine
I'd actually like a manual AutoStop button that would stop the engine and keep it stopped as long as it was depressed.
It does have one of those. The ignition key...

Old 07-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you all for the feedback.

I'll keep in mind that using 2nd gear and reverse disables Auto Stop.

Since I do not yet have a HAH (on order), I was wondering if anyone who regularly deals with this scenario can also comment.