Park and auto stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 04:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Park and auto stop

Is there anyway to prevent the engine from automatically restarting when you shift into park? The engine will stop when I pull into my driveway, but then restart for a split second if I shift into park and then turn off the key. I have been turning the key off to "acc" first and then shifting into Park, and then turning the key off the rest of the way, but this is annoying and sometimes I forget. It seems like the engine should only restart if you also take your foot off the brake.

Is there any kind of modification that can be made?

Old 05-17-2006, 04:45 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Re: Park and auto stop

I do just as you described..... turn the key before putting the car into park. Not sure if there is any other way.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

I read here or elsewhere that for the Accord Navi system, you can get into diagnostic mode by pressing menu-map-cancel together for 5 seconds, and that gives you round one of some interesting screens... Then if you hold menu for another 5 seconds, that gets you into developer mode. I was thinking along these lines, that somewhere in the hidden modes of the Navi system, there maybe was a toggle for restart on shifting into Park.

Maybe I am dreaming!

FYI, it seems like there are a lot of cool things you can do in these modes, but there is always the chance of messing something up. But as a lifesaver, you can always apparently disconnect the battery, and everything goes back to default.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:07 AM

If you figure this out, let us know. I use the same technique and it is annoying. I'm sure Navy can find a good reason why it does this though...

Also look and see if you can figure out a way to delay idiot light for low fuel to something less than 3 gallons. Before my last fillup (~580 mile tank) I drove over 100 miles with the light on and still had over a gallon of gas left in the tank.

Also, I want to be able to roll my windows up with the key the way I can roll them down.

Anyone else have other pet peeves?

Old 05-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Gee, I thought I was too unimaginative and lacked vision.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:19 AM

What, are you parked on this forum?

Old 05-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast

It's still not a perfect solution, but you can put the transmission into 2nd gear, and the engine won't auto-stop. I do this all the time when I come to a stop sign where there's no traffic, or when I'm coming to a stop before putting the transmission in Park.

There has to be a point where it takes more energy to restart the engine than is saved by the Auto-Stop. My guess is that this is somewhere around 10 seconds. (With non-hybrids, I used to hear that it was more like 30 seconds, but they start "more slowly" with the traditional starter).

The Civic hybrid (pre-2006 model, with manual transmission, and maybe other models) had an "ECON" button on the dash that disabled autostop. This would have been a good feature on the Accord. There's probably some wire somewhere that could be spliced into with a switch that would accomplish this on the Accord (i.e., diable autostop when the switch is activated).

Old 05-19-2006, 05:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

About 7-10 secs of idling uses the same fuel as starting up in a normal (12v) starter engine. less for us, since the engine comes to steady idle much faster.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...36&postcount=8