Is it possible to disable the IMA? - Page 5 - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

Is it possible to disable the IMA?

Reply

 
 
 
  #41  
Old 11-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Default Re: Is it possible to disable the IMA?

I have a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid it has 74,000 miles on it and the IMA and check engine light stay on all the time. I took it in, a couple of times, to the dealer and they said all it needed was codes reset. The last time they wanted to replace the IMA battery for 4200. I took it to another mechanic and he said the IMA battery needed replaced (code POA7F). Does anyone have any solutions for fixing this without replacing the battery? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 2,673
Default Re: Is it possible to disable the IMA?

No. You might be able to recover the battery with grid charging. You'll have to spend about $500 for the system, but there are no guarantees.


You can purchase a replacement from Bumblebee Batteries for $2100 with a 3 year warranty.
 
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Default Re: Is it possible to disable the IMA?

What is grid charging? How do I go about getting it done? In your professional opinion would you try this first or replace the battery? I am the second owner of this car and it has always been garaged, but not driven much (obviously because of mileage). Also it has always had non-ethanol fuel put in it. Not sure if that would make any difference. Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 2,673
Default Re: Is it possible to disable the IMA?

Originally Posted by ladybug46 View Post
What is grid charging? How do I go about getting it done? In your professional opinion would you try this first or replace the battery? I am the second owner of this car and it has always been garaged, but not driven much (obviously because of mileage). Also it has always had non-ethanol fuel put in it. Not sure if that would make any difference. Thanks


It's a way to charge your battery by connecting a special charger to the power grid (grid charging):


https://hybridautomotive.com/collect...ant=5576573316


It slowly charges the battery to 100% ensuring at all 120 cells are full. One then uses the bulb discharger to discharge the pack to near 0%.


This process restores the battery to an optimal state; however, it won't fix a battery that has a failed cell. The down side to this option is you won't know until you try.


If you replace the battery, you know it will work.
 
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-25-2018, 04:39 AM
Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Default Re: Is it possible to disable the IMA?

Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Flip the master off and see for yourself. Your mileage will likely improve a bit during stop and go due to elimination of forced regen and your highway mileage should improve notably.
You will NOT charge the 12V at idle or high rpm. The red battery light will illuminate when 12V charging is not happening. It should go out after a few seconds when you are between 1500 and 3500rpm.
.
I experimented with my failing HCH2 IMA turned off, and very quickly flattened the 12V. (My bad, as I was still using airconditioning etc with the IMA turned off, which I think adds extra strain on the 12V.
However, just with reference to your point above, the red battery light stayed on the whole time for me. (Even at 2,000 rpm) when I am fairly certain it was recharging.

A few people have mentioned it is important to trickle charge the 12V when disabling the IMA, and driving without it. However, I have a unique problem - NO garage, so I need to park on street which makes charging tricky, as I would need to leave a charger on a 15 metre extension cord etc, it would get stolen in my neighbourhood!!! As an alternative, how suitable are the Solar battery chargers (10W - 30W?) I have seen them advertised to trickle charge "battery maintenance" and I think would be helpful to keep the 12V topped up (and they can stay inside the car on the dash).
Two questions though... 1) Output is 18V max (which I think would be dangerous to the battery....
2) These Solar Panel chargers have a cigarette lighter input. However, I've been told that the battery might night charge unless the ignition is on? And also, this seems a bit clumsy just injecting electricity into the socket like that (might be fine for a conventional car, but HCH2 are a special beast.
 
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-25-2018, 06:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 2,673
Default Re: Is it possible to disable the IMA?

Originally Posted by Pombal View Post
I experimented with my failing HCH2 IMA turned off, and very quickly flattened the 12V. (My bad, as I was still using airconditioning etc with the IMA turned off, which I think adds extra strain on the 12V.
However, just with reference to your point above, the red battery light stayed on the whole time for me. (Even at 2,000 rpm) when I am fairly certain it was recharging.

A few people have mentioned it is important to trickle charge the 12V when disabling the IMA, and driving without it. However, I have a unique problem - NO garage, so I need to park on street which makes charging tricky, as I would need to leave a charger on a 15 metre extension cord etc, it would get stolen in my neighbourhood!!! As an alternative, how suitable are the Solar battery chargers (10W - 30W?) I have seen them advertised to trickle charge "battery maintenance" and I think would be helpful to keep the 12V topped up (and they can stay inside the car on the dash).
Two questions though... 1) Output is 18V max (which I think would be dangerous to the battery....
2) These Solar Panel chargers have a cigarette lighter input. However, I've been told that the battery might night charge unless the ignition is on? And also, this seems a bit clumsy just injecting electricity into the socket like that (might be fine for a conventional car, but HCH2 are a special beast.
1) The battery voltage will rise in response to the current the charger provides.

2) The battery will not charge through the cigarette lighter input with the ignition off. This is all moot as a solar charger is insufficient to provide enough charge to keep your battery charged. They are generally sufficient for cars that are parked and not used for an extended period of time. If you use the vehicle with an inoperative/impaired charging system, they can't keep up.
 
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-28-2018, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Default Re: Is it possible to disable the IMA?

Originally Posted by jdcjones View Post
For those of you know don't know, (I didn't) the alternator charges your normal 12v battery when you are driving. So we have to solve this problem. The main 12v battery needs to be replaced with a deep cycle battery which you can get at any walmart, deep cycle batteries are 12v batteries that are installed in boats because boat batteries can be drained all the way down to the very bottom and sit for months (in storage or over the winter) and be able to charge. The standard battery that comes in your car does not have this capability, once the juice is drained it is drained. Once you have your new battery also buy a battery charger, they can be bought at walmart as well, they can cost any where from 25-100 dollars. I would recommend one that has a meter and something compact. After you install the battery you can charge it every night from you garage with the battery charger that plugs right into the wall. So instead of charging the battery while you drive you charge the battery at night. Of course this comes with limitations but if you are tight on cash, like I said, I have been doing this for over a year.
Just checking - has anyone else switched to a deep cycle 12V battery as suggested? My IMA is causing havoc for me at the moment, and a few people have said that these issues can be resolved with a better 12V (I know that sounds silly, but there is of a info in these forums about the terrible 12V performance on the HCH-2.
Are deep cycle batteries only the way to do for disabling the IMA? Or for all HCH-2
My current 12V is a a Calcium, 370 CCA.
 
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-29-2018, 06:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 2,673
Default Re: Is it possible to disable the IMA?

Completely unnecessary. The scenario the poster described will also kill deep cycle batteries as most boats don't have a parasitic drain (no ECUs, etc.). Cars are constantly pulling a small current to maintain various ECU memories as well as car clock and radio station pre-sets. It's small, but it adds up over weeks.

If you sit a fully charged battery on the shelf, it will have about 60-70% charge remaining after a year. If you leave it connected in a car, it will be dead in 2-3 months depending on capacity... not just discharged, but damaged.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I replaced the stock 154R with a 54R - had to discard the plastic shrouds, but it still fit. About 40% more capacity for the same price.
 
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-12-2018, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Default Re: Is it possible to disable the IMA?

Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
All Honda IMA systems can be disabled and configured such that the IMA motor and DC-DC converter will charge the 12V in a reduced operating range. For the HCH2, it's about 1500-3500 rpm.

The disabling will throw a continuous IMA and check engine light that will prohibit you from passing emissions if that's a criterion in your area.

It's best to have a cigarette lighter voltmeter, so you can keep an eye on your 12V health.

http://www.prolongima.com/hch/removal/bypass.html has instructions in their tech resources section for Insight and HCH1. For HCH2, you merely need to flip the pack switch off.

Steve
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Topic Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Lazy Cat
Toyota Prius
11
03-12-2008 07:25 AM
schmidtj
Toyota Camry Hybrid
16
08-10-2006 10:38 AM
CGameProgrammer
Honda Civic Hybrid
62
12-15-2005 05:48 PM
zimbop
Honda Civic Hybrid
17
11-03-2005 09:27 AM
EMO
Toyota Highlander Hybrid
12
10-27-2005 09:32 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it possible to disable the IMA?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.