Possible newbie, Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Possible newbie, Need advice

I'm really thinking of getting a used 05' HAH. I really don't know much about them and reading about them hasn't really helped me out. I have a couple questions for all you ppl.

1. Is the cost of upkeep higher than your average car?

2. Do you drive it like a normal car? Does it automatically switch from battery to gas.

3. Is there a mileage cut off to when things start costing a lot to repair?

I really want an Accord and I figured that I should look into the Hybrid. Please help me make the right choice.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Possible newbie, Need advice

1. The studies I've read say the maintenance is slightly lower than a traditional car.

2. Driving is just as normal. The switch from battery to gas and back is completely automatic.

3. When the batteries wear out, you're looking at a large bill to replace them. I believe the estimates are around 10 years of normal use. There aren't many people with first hand experience in battery replacement.

4. Check with your insurance company. In some areas, the rates are rather different between the two.

Last edited by cbibbs; 03-24-2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Added one point
Old 03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Possible newbie, Need advice

Originally Posted by graniteman
I'm really thinking of getting a used 05' HAH.
Do it! They're great cars. Really, reading through the threads in this forum, you won't see many real issues with the '05. Very few of the '06 and '07 owners have had some sort of backfiring problem. It has gotten so bad that some of them have gotten Honda to buy them back. However, the '05 seems to be immune to whatever change there was to the newer models.

1. Is the cost of upkeep higher than your average car?
Regular maintenance should be less, just because it's a highly reliable Honda. If you're talking "average" car, then yeah, the cost of upkeep is less.

2. Do you drive it like a normal car? Does it automatically switch from battery to gas.
Yep. Drive it as you would a normal car. But, with some of the techniques you can learn about by reading through these forums, you can drive this car with a much smoother touch on the accelerator and brakes and you'll see a good improvement in fuel economy. The switch between being powered by just the gasoline engine and then the addition of the electric Integrated Motor Assist is all automatic.

3. Is there a mileage cut off to when things start costing a lot to repair?
I wouldn't say there really is a definitive mileage where you'll see a greater repair cost. This car should age just as any other Honda and as compared to the average car, you should see fewer repair bills, for normal wear and tear. However, the hybrid batteries are supposed to last *AT LEAST* 10 years and 150,000 miles. This car is still too new to see how well the batteries will last. But you should expect to see at least a battery replacement around the 10 year or 150,000 mile period. Time will tell. However, looking at some other hybrids on the market, some have had the batteries replaced at less than 100,000 miles. Others have driven past 300,000 on the original batteries.