purchasing accord hybrid, questions

Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default purchasing accord hybrid, questions

i found a accord hybrid salvaged for 6000, minor front end work needed.

im having it shipped sometime this week, and hoping someone could shed some light on the following.

wheres the battery located in the accord hybrid?
does this car have two starters?, one in case SOC is low?
is there coolant for a inverter, or electric motor?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: purchasing accord hybrid, questions

12v battery in front, drivers side.

I too wonder if there is a second starter in case the soc or hybrid battery is dead completely

I have not seen any hint of coolant for the inverter as my prius had.

best of luck with the new project.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

The HAH has two ways to start the engine. Normally with the batteries fully charged the electric motor(IMA) simply begins to turn when the key is turned to start the car using the battery pack behind the rear seat. But if that battery pack is low there is a regular starter located almost directly under the 12v battery in the engine compartment

Last edited by georgej; 04-15-2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Okay, so it's usually common knowledge among HAH owners that our cars start by using the IMA motor with power being supplied by the 144V batteries behind the rear seat. And if those batteries are dead/low, then the car can start via the conventional starter with power being supplied by the 12V battery under the hood.

Today, I drove my car into work. It's about a seven mile drive. I then parked and then went out to run for a while. I got back to my car in about an hour and when I tried to start it, nothing happened. The SoC still read four bars, but the car wouldn't turn over. I then jumpstarted it with another vehicle. With the jumper cables attached to the second vehicle, the car used the IMA motor and started right up.

I took my car to the dealership and they tested the starting system. They said the only thing that was bad was the 12V battery, which they replaced for free.

So what gives? Why wouldn't the car start if the 144V batteries had enough juice? There's got to be something connected to the 12V battery that allows the IMA to start the car. Anyone know anything more about the starting system? Anything that'll shed some light on this issue? I've got the factory service manual at home. When I get some free time, I'm going to look through the wiring diagrams to see if I can find any links between the 12V starting system and 144V starting system.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would guess the 12v supplies the processors and relays which instruct / allow the IMA to start the car.

I recently replaced my 12v battery as well . I wrote about it in the other post about a discharged 12v battery.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I was thinking maybe the 12V is what powers things such as the ECU. And without letting the ECU boot up, the IMA wasn't getting signals to start the car when the key was turned.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

there's a battery unit recently for sale on e-bay for a 2005 HAH

Old 06-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

when I was first looking at my HAH, it sat on the dealer lot long enough to deplete the 12V battery. When I tried to start it, the EL gauges would dim down and flicker off. They connected a booster pack, and I was able to IMA start almost instantly. It is very dependent on the 12V system to function, my guess to enable the HV contactors to power up the system, they're just big relays, with a coil that needs to energize. Without the juice, it is as if the HV pack doesn't even exist. If only there were a way to convert some of that power from the HV pack to 12V as a "jump start," this would be a moot point. Most functions are powered from the 12V such as lighting, so this leaves a certain vulnerability similar to that of a conventional vehicle.