Quick question? Can radio antenna be taken off.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Quick question? Can radio antenna be taken off.

I just wondering if that antenna on the back unscrews. Like if I get it washed can I take it off or does it stay in place. I am to scared to try it myself she is less that 2 weeks old and I dont want to do anything that might hurt her.It is still to cold here in Chicago to wash it myself so I will let guys at the hand car wash clean it but I would like to remove antenna to keep it from getting damaged.
Just wondering if anyone else smiles when they pass people in eco mode and still knows that they are getting 30mpg doing it. I know a Prius gets better gas milage but man does the power suffer.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Quick question? Can radio antenna be taken off.

It does unscrew. Standard RH thread (left to loosen, right to tighten).

You'll probably find it easiest to stand on one of the sill panels in the rear to reach it, unless you have arms of simian proportions.

As I write this, it comes to mind - you may not want water to get into the female end. It might not cause a problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also - it's flexible. So it won't break off at the first thing that touches it (it *will* retain a bend, if it's really severe - don't ask me how I know this).

I'd leave it on in a true 'hand' wash, myself.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've taken it through several types of washes. NO problem. Its a pretty sturdy antenna.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks. Man do I love this car. My wife thinks that her Infiniti g35 coupe needs to have more stuff in it so she is already looking into getting navi in her next car. I have been telling her that her car is the pretty girl with no brians while my car looks good and is smart too. At this point I always hit the button and ask the car "what time is it?"When it responds you should see the look on her face.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Rarely post anything

Tell your wife that because you have the Navi, you never have to set the clock when 'time change Sunday' occurs - because it syncs through the Navi, which gets the time from the GPS birds. Smart, huh ?

Also - and I mention this because I always thought it was a bit of overkill to ask the time, when it's right there in the upper dash display - you can turn that upper dash display OFF. Hold down the CD/AUX button for 7 seconds. You'll hear a 'beep', and the upper display will shut off. Repeat to reverse.

That's the only reason I could see ever needing to 'ask the time', myself - but they don't mention turning off the upper display in the manual, afaik. Alpine did build some functions into the Navi, independent of Honda - they ported a subset of their propietary Navi code into the HMC setup, and the time polling came along for the ride, as it were.

I'd agree on your description of the G-twins. Awesome looks and strong runners - but once you get past the outer skin, what do you have ? Nissan has some work to do in their interiors, IMO. But that VQ35 series runs like stink Drove a G-sedan to compare to the HAH before I bought it. It coulda been a contendah, I tell ya...

Old 03-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you go to your dealership and ask the guys that prep the car when it comes off the truck, they'll probably give you the cap that fits onto the threaded hole of the antenna receiver assembly. That should keep the water out if you're so inclined.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

I'd be more concerned with wearing out the screws and the outside connections by taking the antenna off every week to wash the car, rather than just leave it on and let your warranty take care of any problems (that part would be "radio equipment" and not "trim.)

I've been washing mine since December with nary a problem. Acutally I didn't even consider taking off the antenna, since it's flexible. AND it is a lot easier on the top of the car than my Civic, which gives a nasty WHACK-WHACK-WHACK as the jets from the automated car wash beat the antenna mast against the top of the car. (note to self: pull in the Civic's antenna BEFORE putting it through a car wash!)