The scoop on the new 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The scoop on the new 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Originally Posted by Accordingly,Don
This car is phenomenal! I drive 42 miles on my round trip commute to work and back. The trip into work is almost always 45mpg; with the trip home usually around 55mpg. My job location is slightly uphill from where I live. So that's 50mpg folks....without even really trying.........I'm driving the speed limit+. I'm dismayed to read internet articles from so-called auto experts, who are claiming the best mileage they can get on their "test drive" to be 38mpg or so.........Dis-information is rampant on the internet, and it makes you wonder who they're beholding too. Take it from a real owner, I've had mine since January, with no regrets. In fact, I can't wait to trade my wife's car for one. I anyone has doubts I can send you a pic of the trip computer.
Glad to hear you like the car. Ive got an '07 Camry right now with about 150,000 on the clock and Im looking to trade it in on an Accord Hybrid when it hit 200,000.
About a week ago, I checked on Autotrade and there seems to be at least 10 Accord Hybrids available in my area within a 50 mile radius, so Im not all that worried about being able to find one. Who knows, in a year or 2 when Im looking to buy, the new might have worn off of them and I may be able to have my pick of color and still get a deal on it.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:31 AM
Enthusiast

Bought the Ex-l off the lot on 30 April and love it. 500 miles already and am getting 45+. Most of the time my driving is easy, but I have been showing off the acceleration to friends too. I have multiple trips (5-10 miles across town) where I've hit 50+ mpg. 60.3 is the max so far..... Awesome car, love showing it off, sharing how the new technology works, etc.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

FINALLY, after 30 days and 731 miles, I had to stop at a gas station and refill my HAH Touring. Averaged 50.5 MPG with 90% city driving. Had a few trips over 70, the last 2 over 60. The few trips on the highway were right at 45-46 MPG. No complaints other than when driving right at 45 MPH. Seems that the transition to direct drive is a bit sketchy and the car seems to want to surge back and forth a couple MPH.

FWIW, ordered the car from the dealer on April 2nd, they took delivery on April 15th and I picked it up April 19th. Was pleasantly surprised they were able to obtain one so quickly. Traded in an '04 Acura TL, the only thing I miss is the quality of the ELS sound system. The HAH system is a step down from the ELS but still sounds great!

The infotainment system is COMPLEX, and I still haven't mastered all of the features.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: The scoop on the new 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

I've had my base 2014 HAH for about a month now, and I absolutely love it. I'm coming from a 2012 VW CC Lux Limited which met an unfortunate untimely demise.

My one regret with purchasing the HAH base is not being able to wait to find an EX-L model, because I would have liked the leather and tech packages, but otherwise, this has been a fantastic purchase. Only two dealers had a total of five HAH units in all of Northern Virginia when I looked, and all were base models.

My mileage is clocking in around 48 MPG/tank average with a mix of about 70% highway (70 MPH highway and over mountains) and 30% around-town driving. If I'm "careful," I can often hit 55-60 MPG or more in the city, but I don't see less than 46 MPG in most cases driving normally. This kind of fuel economy plus a 0-60 score around 7 seconds is pretty incredible for any car, much less a mid-sized sedan. This hybrid engine really is remarkable. It doesn't penalize me too badly for the 70 MPH highway speeds (that's the speed limit on the highway for much of my commute), but it REALLY loves 55 MPH highways and rewards the fuel economy accordingly.

Trunk space for a hybrid is very good, though it does lack a pass-through. Rear seat room isn't as generous as the VW Passat TDI, but it's much better than the Ford Fusion Hybrid, the other two cars I was considering purchasing.

It aggressively uses the electric vehicle (EV) mode, especially when on cruise control, and it allows you to manually select EV mode at your whim; this is huge to me. Knowing the terrain ahead, I can drop it into EV mode for substantial fuel savings over the course of the trip.

Service costs are ridiculously low...basically only oil changes until 100,000 miles at the "big service," and the "big service" at my dealership costs less than my regular services did for my VW. (At 30,000 miles a year that I drive, I was doing the 10K, 20K, and 30K services all in the same year on the VW, totaling over $1,200. The Honda will cost me about $100 in that same time frame.)

Pros: Almost everything. Tremendous fuel economy without sacrificing power or space—EPA estimates are genuine, if not a little low. Roomy interior, stylish exterior. Good-sized trunk for a hybrid. Low maintenance requirements and costs. Easily achieve a 700+ mile range on a 15.5 gallon tank of regular gas. Priced very reasonably for what you get (IMHO). Honda's right lane-change camera is actually very useful (despite my originally thinking it was a gimmick). Rear seats three and has own air venting and cup holders (when seated for two). Plenty of power ports and USB/Bluetooth phone connectivity. Handling isn't on rails, but for a mid-sized hybrid sedan, it's pretty darned good.

Cons: Very few, and I'm working to come up with a balanced post. Trim level is good on the base, but feels slightly lower than competing hybrid models. Front seat has firm bolstering under leg; for my body type, this can cause some discomfort in my right leg after a short bit of driving. Trunk has no pass-through for long items. Engine is noisy under stress or hard acceleration (but very quiet during EV use). Rear seats lose a small bit of width due to vent intake for batteries. Ride is a bit bumpy and firmer than you'd expect. No garage door remote or auto-dimming rear view mirror in base model. Wind noise at the driver's ear over 45 MPH is fairly substantial.

Would I buy this car again? It's a qualified yes. If I could find the EX-L version, I'd buy that first. If not, I'd buy my same car over again in a heartbeat.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, finally got my car, and I love it. I wanted the EX-L, but got the Touring. Blame my husband for that! Lots of features I could do without, but whatever. My first tank came in at 45 mpg, and that's with lousy driving at the dealership. As for me, I managed one commute at 69.3 mpg for 17 miles. The commute home trends downhill, where the commute to work trends uphill. About 1/3 highway coming home, and 2/3 highway to work.

Got into a fender-bump in a parking lot just a couple of days after I got the car. I wasn't used to the rear camera, so didn't see the van looming in it until it was too late. Urrrrgh! No worries, though, my husband buffed out the scuffs, and they can't be seen on a galloping horse.

The first time the FCW (front collision warning) went off, it about caused me to wreck, it scared me so bad! I think the salesman should've warned us about that - I think I'll tell him.

Favorite feature - the USB aux port. I loaded my music onto a 32g flash drive and voila, I can listen to ALL my music. No HD radio, though. I was surprised about that.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

I just read an absolutely ABSURD article in Consumer Reports Magazine about the Accord Hybrid. They are claiming the posted mileage falls far short of the advertised mileage. They were only getting 40mpg. I don't think I could drive my car hard enough to achieve such a low result! I might ad, I've been a subscriber since the early eighties, and I used to trust their results, but alas they seem to be falling short of objective reviews. I've noticed this especially the past 5 or 6 years. If you want an objective review, watch Motorweek on Youtube. I should send them a pic of the trip computer showing a consistent 48mpg for the last three tanks of gas purchased. I am a spirited driver also...........sorry Consumers, you'd done this car a disservice.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

Honestly, the more I drive this car; I honestly believe it's getting better mileage than a Prius ever did! I've had years of experience behind the wheel of a Prius as well; and it's a great car, don't get me wrong!

Old 06-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Enthusiast

I got mine last Friday, I absolutely love it. In my 3 days commute ( 40 miles ) most of it City driving, I'm averaging 57 MPG which is really great.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm really curious, is the HAH completely useless if the battery dies?

On the IMA hybrids, the battery can die and the car will still have the ICE+CVT but without the added HP from battery+electric motor.

With the HAH, can the ICE and that automatic clutch work at lower speeds, or is it only for 45MPH and higher??

Old 06-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

Well, my white touring hybrid is at the dealer this morning. They picked it up from a dealer in NY state and trailered it to WV, about 450 miles. I've already got the body side molding, floor mats and trunk tray ready to install. It already has the splash guards installed by the NY dealer. I'm waiting for their technician to put a gold stripe on my car to match the interior. He put a stripe on a champagne Accord sitting in the showroom (among other vehicles on the lot) that I liked. I've pin striped cars before, but can never seem to get it perfect. This car needs to have it done right.

Quick Reply: The scoop on the new 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands