Stereo Upgrade Options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Stereo Upgrade Options?

I will be picking up my HAH next week and was wondering if anyone has tried to upgrade the stereo yet? I have enjoyed a custom system in my 1994 Accord Wagon for many years and would like to improve on the stock system but am concerned about screwing up the Active Noise Cancellation.

Thanks,

Mark
P.S. sure wish there was an integrated cell phone...

Old 06-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Stereo Upgrade Options?

Hi, mlewis...didn't notice this post at first...I've been paying a lot of attention to Xcel's mileage attempts this week... 60+ mpg will tend to do that...

Anyway, I don't plan on replacing the head unit, especially as I have the Navi, but I have already replace front / rear speakers. The ANC comes over the stock speaker wire, so if you leave it in place, ANC will still work.

That being said, if you put a power amp in, and rewire to the speakers, you'll lose the link to the ANC, which is in the head unit. I've read of another HAH owner on another site that told about this - it produces a g*d-awful noise for a few seconds, until it figures out that it's not working properly, and shuts itself off. According to him, it doesn't affect the noise level of the car at all when it's in VCM ('eco' mode), and that's the reason the ANC was supposedly added to the car.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Stereo Upgrade Options?

Thanks. I saw the thread about the loud noise after turning off the ANC. It seems best to keep the head unit but perhaps come up with some sort of bypass to be able to use external amps, a sub, perhaps a DVD Audio player etc. Perhaps something can be hooked up off the speakers outputs. Pity they make this so hard but I have seen the same complaints about all the recent Accords with VCM and NAVI.

I have read that the NAVI unit is made by Alpine. Does anyone know who makes the head unit?