Taken for a nasty ride!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Taken for a nasty ride!

Hi... I'm new here. I'm doing research on 2005 Honda Accord Hybrids because one week ago, my HAH landed me in an accident which was due to a malfunctioning of the car.

I was maneuvering in a crowded gas station and had backed up, then stopped, shifted into drive, and at first the engine seemed to stall, then all of a sudden it lurched and took off. I stepped on the brake, but nothing happened. It was as if the car was accelerating and braking (without stopping) at the same time. The gas pedal felt normal, but there was no way to stop until I hit something (unfortunately a 2005 Corvette, but it could have been much worse if it were a person!). I have found 6 other incidents very similar to mine on the NHTSA site.

My car had to be towed, and is now in the body shop. Once the body work is repaired, I'll have Honda investigate what happened, but I'm anticipating an uphill battle. Any advice? Anyone experience something similar?

I do NOT want to get in this car again. Next time it may be even worse. What are my options? I'm taking a huge loss on this car as the dealer took me for a ride when I bought the car, and now this... being at "fault" (when I near perfect driving record) right at Christmas and have to pay all these expenses, not to mention the aggravation and stress.

Thanks for any info/support you can provide!
Alina

Old 12-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Taken for a nasty ride!

Without more details, how can you blame it on a malfunction of the car? Was there an error code in the car that backs up your claim? Could it be possible that you where on the gas and not the brakes?

Old 12-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

No, I was not on the gas. The gas pedal and the brake pedal feel different and have different resistence and pressure. My foot was definitely on the brake. I was pressing as hard as I could. If I were on the accelerator, wouldn't that make the car go faster than 10 MPH?

When one steps on the brakes and the car does not slow (nor go faster), I would say the car malfunctioned. It was not normal. Once the car is out of the body shop, maybe Honda will find something to back up my claim.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 AM
My Wife's car but my toy!

Were you pressing with your left or right foot?

I have presses on the brake with my right foot and had the bottom right edge of my shoe hitting the accerlator pedal. It feels like you are describing. You feel the brake becuase it is firmer than the accelerator, but as the brake pedal depresses the car is revving up trying to go at the same time. You are definitely pushing the brake, but the edge of your shoe is hitting the lower corner of the gas pedal.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Definitely sounds like a case of "pedal error" to me.

Question: How could you know if the gas pedal felt normal if you were also pressing the brake unless you operate the brake pedal with your left foot?

Last edited by VMA131Marine; 12-13-2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When I asked if you were pressing the accelerator, I meant as other have described. Brake and Accelerator, something is going to give, especially on a front wheel drive car (and especially if it's an automatic).

Also, you are coming across the wrong way because you are upset with a dealer that took advantage of you in your negotiations, sounds like you should have walked away from the deal.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
When I asked if you were pressing the accelerator, I meant as other have described. Brake and Accelerator, something is going to give, especially on a front wheel drive car (and especially if it's an automatic).
I have actually been wondering about this. On a front drive car, if you have the brake pedal pressed down hard then how far do you have to depress the accelerator to get the car to move?

Will it move at all?

The brakes can bring the car from 60-0 a lot faster and in less distance than the engine can take it from 0-60. I suspect that the HAH generates enough torque at the wheels to overcome maximum brake application, but not enough to allow the car to accelerate rapidly even at peak engine torque.

Anybody know if the engine control module stores data that would allow things like throttle and brake position at the time of the accident to be determined. I know that if there's a fault code set the computer stores the information from all its sensors at that time. My question is, does it keep more than current data in memory or does it have several seconds or minutes of data that can be read.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Perhaps the HAH has the 'black box' recorder, then there will be no question if the car had a problem or if the problem was between the steering wheel and the seat.

The only thing I dont care for about my HAH is that it is TOO powerful. I could be just as happy with an engine half its size. Maybe your accord simply over powered you and you have no clue what happened.

As for you buying the car, the dealer can not make you do anything you do not agree to do. You allowed him to sell you the car.

Bottom line is 'education costs money' hopefully you learned something.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mg48
Were you pressing with your left or right foot?

I have presses on the brake with my right foot and had the bottom right edge of my shoe hitting the accerlator pedal. It feels like you are describing. You feel the brake becuase it is firmer than the accelerator, but as the brake pedal depresses the car is revving up trying to go at the same time. You are definitely pushing the brake, but the edge of your shoe is hitting the lower corner of the gas pedal.
My foot/shoe isn't wide enough.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VMA131Marine
Definitely sounds like a case of "pedal error" to me.

Question: How could you know if the gas pedal felt normal if you were also pressing the brake unless you operate the brake pedal with your left foot?
I was driving with high heels, and if you have ever driven with high heels, it is much more awkward pushing the accelerator than the brake because the accelerator is pushing downwards where as the brake is pushing inward... very different angles and levels of comfort when you're wearing heels.

Quick Reply: Taken for a nasty ride!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands