Tire pressure for Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 05:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Tire pressure for Accord

OK, I know there's some dyed-in-the-wool (should that be died-...?) hypermillers that drive on rocks (50+ psi in tires), but how many here (*Accord forum) do that?

I received 37 mpg on my first tank with the recommended psi. Last night, I bumped them to the max 44. Results: MUCH rougher ride (surprised by how much rougher) and received about 2 mpg better on my 35 mile trip (33.8 mpg in 34 degrees on my mostly uphill climb - an overall 450 foot climb, but hilly). I'm reserving judgement on the overall mpg effect until I return home for the overall difference - my return is always much better due to the more downhill and warmer temp.

Anyway, we bought the slightly higher ($) Accord because of increased hp and greater comfort. I was just curious if, as a whole, our group would be less mpg dilligent. For me, I believe I'll continue to work on mpg (because of that whole competitive thing), but I don't think 2 mpg is worth the harsher ride.
Tink

Old 03-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Site Founder

Nathan,
If you don't think it's worth it, there's nothing wrong with using the recommended PSI. It's not like you're doing something horrible... you're doing what's recommended!

I do expect that some people purchased the Accord Hybrid for its power, but if I'm not mistaken it's just 15 hp, correct? Doesn't the added weight make up for that extra power?

I guess only time will tell what type of demographic the car appealed to. There aren't too many HAH owners, yet, so we'll have to see who comes along.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Jason,

It's not that I think I'm doing something wrong, I'm just wondering if there's a personality (?) difference in the make-up of the HAH buyer.

As far as weight and performance difference, the weight is *nearly* the same because of some of the changes made; the hp difference is only 15, but I think the torque difference is more. Also, there is an incredible smoothness in hard acceleration with the two motors pulling together. In addition, the electric is an immediate response, as opposed to the hesitation of an ICE.

That being said, I also (maybe even mainly) bought it for the fun/different factor. I like the graphs, small though they are. I think it's cool when the engine stops at a light.

AND, even with the increased performance, I can get great gas mileage for a car with such power. And with gas over $2, that's nothing to sneeze at. Albeit, not the mpg of a full hybrid. 37 mpg is not bad, though!