Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Accord Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-accord-hybrid-27/)
-   -   Tire Wear Indicates I need new Compliance Bushings--how much to replace? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-accord-hybrid-27/tire-wear-indicates-i-need-new-compliance-bushings-how-much-replace-28366/)

salesrep 12-03-2012 07:51 AM

Tire Wear Indicates I need new Compliance Bushings--how much to replace?

I just had my '05 HAH in for timing belt replacement #2 at about 205,xxx miles and one of the items that came up on the 'complimentary fleecing opportunity list' was new compliance bushings in the front lower control arms due to uneven inside-edge tire wear. Of course I passed at this time, due to several reasons--first, trying to survive the almost $1000 hit for timing belt package, second, so I could assess what the REAL needs are and how much I could do for myself. . .

Anyway, when I got it home to take care of an oil change, I did observe the right side tire wearing unevenly on the inside edge--a definite indicator that the compliance bushings are going or gone.

I fixed the problem on my wife's Pilot by replacing the entire LCA (with all 3 new bushings instead of just the one. . .) for less than half of what the dealer wanted for doing the compliance bushings themselves. As I contemplate the same surgical replacement for my HAH, especially given the high mileage, do I go ahead and replace more than just the LCA while I'm in there?

I've not noticed any leaking on the struts, nor poor suspension behavior, so I don't see a reason to replace those, but at 205k, who knows?

Any thoughts?

salesrep 09-24-2013 10:14 AM

Re: Tire Wear Indicates I need new Compliance Bushings--how much to replace?

Ok, so here I sit at about 225k miles and, due to my laziness about (not) rotating the tires, I just had to replace the front two after only getting about 30k on them. They're rated for 65k, so it's DEFINITELY time to stop the bleeding!

I have been slowly getting parts in over the last week or two since the new tires--new front LCAs, new lower ball joints, new front upper control arms, new front rotors, new Monroe struts all around (quick struts/springs front and struts-only rear.) I started taking things apart last night and I've already had to re-assess how much todo in there. I guess I probably need to go ahead and replace the tie-rod or bushings depending on how they come and here's the biggie:

Do I proactively replace the drive boots, even if they're not cracked? I briefly looked at the whole axle assembly on the Honda eParts site and I think it indicated over $500, so pretty much rules that out at this point. Typically you just replace the whole thing, but maybe the boot itself can be replaced on this model--anyone know?

I figured I'd Guinea-pig the first side and take pictures of the operation on the other once I sort of know what I'm doing, so stay tuned!

salesrep 03-23-2014 05:34 AM

Hello!

I haven't been on the site in a while, so I didn't realize that I never updated this thread--here's what I replaced:

Lower Control Arm
Upper Control Arm
Sway Bar Link
Tie-Rod End
Strut Assembly
Lower Ball Joint
Rotors
ABS sensors

Pretty much everything on the front end that could wear out has been replaced. I even tried to replace the CV axles, but nobody had the correct length replacements for me to use (the ones I ordered were too long, probably for the non-hybrid motor, so I put the originals back in that were fine. . .)

I took pictures and videos of the operation--WHAT PICTURE HOSTING SITE CAN I USE TO POST PICTURES ON THIS FORUM? I have accounts at Flickr and Shutterfly and used to use Webshots on another forum, but that site changed and I no longer use it.

Thanks!

GeorgiaHybrid 03-23-2014 08:58 AM

I use photobucket to host the photos I share on the web.

salesrep 03-26-2014 09:03 PM

I have started uploading the videos of my work onto Flickr, but the code generated for pictures is different than what it generates for the video files. I guess I'll just post the link and people can follow the link to see what I did. This is the intro video talking about what I performed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19693931@N02/13428892523/

If anyone has a suggestion about how to actually embed the video file, please let me know. Thanks!