Trailer hitch???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Trailer hitch???

Hi, first time here.

Does anyone know if there are hitches available for our cars? Since we downsized from a van and the trunk is so small the trips to the cottage will be tight. I was thinking of getting one of those cargo carriers that fit into a trailer hitch bracket. Do you think a hitch for a regular Accord would work or might the Hybrid be different?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards,

Gregg
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
VIN #0000088

Old 03-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Shoudn't be a problem. The manual lists a 1,000 pound limit, but I've pulled my golf cart for years with previous Accords. I just received my Hybrid last Saturday, so have no experience with it.

There is a receiver hitch made by Honda, but I used a local trailer company to install my last one (cheaper).

Old 04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Trailer hitch???

Do you plan on getting a trailer hitch? I would like to, only to put on a hitch mount bike rack. Trunk applications seem to scratch. By the way, Customer care thought you couldn't put a hitch on the Hybrid until I referrenced the owners manual. He then recanted but said that Honda doesn't make a hitch for cars and any other brand would not be supported.

If anyone knows if a hitch can be added w/o drilling holes, I'd like to know.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

I am having a hitch put on this Thursday. I went throught the dealer but it is being done at a trailer place. They will test fit a regular Accord one and let me know and I can decide. $250 Canadian installed with wires. Will let you know what I find out

Gregg

Old 04-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Rarely post anything

I've seen bike hitch mounts & receivers on 6th gen Accords, and I would imagine 7th-gen would be fine as well.

Here's what I want to get... a roof rack that can be used for both bikes *and* other things. Max utility out of one piece of gear. Especially since our rear seats don't fold down.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue
I've seen bike hitch mounts & receivers on 6th gen Accords, and I would imagine 7th-gen would be fine as well.

Here's what I want to get... a roof rack that can be used for both bikes *and* other things. Max utility out of one piece of gear. Especially since our rear seats don't fold down.
Do roof mounts scratch the roof? That is my concern. Trunk mounts do unless the trunk and mount are both very clean.

I'll see what success kinger44 has with his application. I'm interested in the type of hitch and how it's installed.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Rarely post anything

Here's a link to the Honda rack:

Install Instructions for Honda Roof Rack

The *roof* isn't an issue at all for scratching; it would be the channels that the brackets fasten to (the door sill panel; step 13 shows this nicely).

Not the one I'm going to get, but you get the idea...

Old 04-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

BTW since we are now talking about other options, here are some prices I got from my local Honda dealer. Remember, I am in Canada and these are $C prices - $US is about 80% of these prices:

roof rack is 490.82 plus taxes.

exhaust tip is 161.17 plus taxes

fog lights are 626.39 plus taxes

These prices are installed.

Cheers

Gregg

Old 04-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast

OK, the hitch is on. Class one (2,000 lbs), 1.25" receiver. It's tucked up under pretty well. The wireset is attached in the upper left rear corner of the trunk - there is a black plastic patch there - don't know if it was already or they put it in.

No cutting or drilling, just a bolt on. This was a stock 05 Accord hitch.

Hope this helps.

Gregg

Old 04-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

So you got it through the dealer. My dealer here in the states says it can't be ordered. Do you have a part # or something that I can refer the dealer to?

What's the manufacturers name? Or is it just a Honda part?

FYI In 97% city driving, I just got 31.2 MPG's from my last tank of gas.

Last edited by tmshybrid; 04-09-2005 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Need additional data.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands