Tranny Clunking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Tranny Clunking noise?

I have been noticing a weird clunking noise coming from the tranny. It happens only when changing from R to D and back. For example when I pull into a parking spot "forward" and then later apply some more gas when backing out of it I hear this clunking noise. It could be heard only with the radio off and the windows open. It could be normal occurrence but I have not experienced it with other brands automobiles. If you heard something like that with the ZF brand Audi transmission usually meant bad news. Any thoughts?

Old 11-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tranny Clunking noise?

I don't have an Accord Hybrid, but an EX-V6 sedan. However...

The '98-'02 V6 Accords were known to have this issue, but not so much with the 7th-gen cars ('03-current). While it's a disconcerting noise (I've heard in friends' cars, but not my own), it's not generally regarded to indicate an actual problem, per se. It's not related to the 2nd / 3rd clutch failure issues with the 6th-gen V6 AT, AFAIK.

Engaging the parking brake may help with this. Try engaging the e-brake when you park on an incline / decline, at least.

If it's especially bothersome, take it in on your next visit and mention it - see what they have to say. At the price point of the HAH, you're entitled to complain a little bit about lack of refinement.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

similar noise, thought to be brakes:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...lunk.2448.html

the question was never solved...

I'm not hearing this noise so much anymore (>10k miles now) but I do hear what you are speaking of, Mitaka. I get it going from R to D too. It doesn't sound bad, just a metallic clunk, like a dental gear falling into place (though it obviously is not exactly that).

Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast

So I am not the only one. That makes me feel better. It looks like many people are experinecing similar issue.