Very Stiff Ride -2014 Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:45 PM
rjg
Enthusiast
Default Very Stiff Ride -2014 Accord Hybrid

My 2014 Accord Hybrid rides really stiff in the rear. It is like it has no give at all. Has anyone else noticed this? I have read several road tests and the experts do mention the stiff ride so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It is like the shocks have zero compression and no rebound, just a thud and and rear end is like a buckboard? I am wondering if there is any fix for this issue.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Very Stiff Ride -2014 Accord Hybrid

It's a Honda. Very normal. If you coming to Honda from another car then you will notice a stiff ride.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:28 PM
rjg
Enthusiast

drozzin:
Thank you for your reply. My normal ride is a Porsche twin turbo and it is lowered slightly and set up for autocross events with 18 inch radials with an aspect ratio of 30 on the rear. Trust me, it rides better than the Honda. I have driven race cars in driving schools so I am not a stranger to firm riding cars. One would not imagine a family sedan should have a rear suspension that is akin to a buckboard. There is no excuse for this kind of ride. I do not like spongy suspension but this is over the top for a cruiser.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:28 PM
rjg
Enthusiast

Well, I guess I am the only one with an issue with the buckboard rear end on this car? I am going to speak to American Honda about my gripe. Anyone else think the rear end has a poor setup?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rjg
Well, I guess I am the only one with an issue with the buckboard rear end on this car? I am going to speak to American Honda about my gripe. Anyone else think the rear end has a poor setup?
Did you talk to American Honda yet?

Old 09-09-2014, 04:38 PM
rjg
Enthusiast

drozzin:
I have not yet spoken to American Honda as I have been out of the country and just came back. I will call them soon. I do not expect much from them but it is worth a discussion. I am sure I will have to speak to several people before I will get to some tech who has some savvy.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

I have recently driven the 2014 Accord Hybrid EX-L. I found it jarring. Both my wife and I have had neck injuries and need a smooth ride and supportive seats. We have had several Accords starting with a 1979 (Never a problem with the ride). When we bought our 1989 LXi, we had the dealer exchange the front springs and struts for those from a softer riding LX. That seemed to do the trick. We also had a 1998 accord that was pretty stiff, but we kept it for many years. I also am looking for a solution to the 2014 Accord ride before I buy one. Does anyone know if there is a softer spring in any of the other new Accords. FWIW, we've also driven an Avalon hybrid and a Camry hybrid and both are much stiffer that I expected (Toyotas used to be SOFT and wallowy), although somewhat better than the Accord!

Old 10-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

I guess it's all in what you are used to. My 2015 is very smooth. In fact my kids don't want to ride in any of our other vehicles. Coming from a Mazda 3, Sienna Minivan or Ford Truck if feels very comfortable to me. It's the most cushy ride of any mid-priced car I've ever owned.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Have you any news on the stiff rear end?

I came off a 2010 Insight, bought in GA, that despises these WV roads and blew a R/H rear shock in protest. It started bouncing over expansion joints, shifting the rear as it passed, until I figured out what was wrong. I did 2 major upgrades to quiet the car down considerably and never came to the ride quality of the Accord.
My Accord is a dream over these roads and hands down, much improved over its lesser brethren.
I bounced on the corners of my car and it does seem very stiff, but it is cold here and it will be stiff. I have no noise over bumps and never felt the car has ever bounced, just smooth.
It may be worth a trip to the dealer, as this sounds like an issue of some kind. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

My '14 accord hybrid base model rides fine. Based on what you're saying, I'm guessing your car has some sort of problem. I can't imagine what it might be, unless one or both of the rear struts is binding.

Quick Reply: Very Stiff Ride -2014 Accord Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands