Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Website Questions & Input (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/website-questions-input-29/)
-   -   Can we get a Forum for the environment? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/website-questions-input-29/can-we-get-forum-environment-15223/)

noflash 09-08-2007 08:58 PM

Can we get a Forum for the environment?

Seems like a valid sub-topic for most hybrid owners.

Thanks In Advance, Ian:D

pagemap 09-10-2007 10:27 AM

Re: Can we get a Forum for the environment?

Second that, I'd like to see one too. :)

bwilson4web 09-10-2007 10:39 AM

I'm not sure this makes sense. We have a fairly narrow focus, hybrid-electrics, and there are many other web site that focus on the environment and to a greater or lessor extent, also cover not only hybrids but all other modes of transportation.

If there is something specific about hybrid impacts on the environment, I could change my mind but right now, I'm not aware of anything unique to our hybrids that isn't already shared by existing gas, flex and electric vehicles. The hybrid-environmental association seems a little weak . . . but I could be pursaded otherwise.

Bob Wilson

Gairwyn 09-10-2007 10:59 AM

I guess each of us had different reasons for buying a hybrid...some liked the technology, some wanted to experience the gas savings, and some wanted to do something to benefit the environment.

I would be interested in an environmental section on the forum, although if it doesn't happen, there are plenty of other places where I can find such an outlet.

leahbeatle 09-10-2007 11:18 AM

I'd be interested, too. We have a fuel efficiency section, and not everyone bought a hybrid to get the best mileage. Well, most of us did (grin!) and it's certainly connected, but there are certainly some people who come here and have slightly different expectations. I just think the quality of the discourse would be high and the discussions would be worth reading, so I would like having an environmental section.

noflash 09-10-2007 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 142508)
I'm not sure this makes sense. We have a fairly narrow focus, hybrid-electrics, and there are many other web site that focus on the environment and to a greater or lessor extent, also cover not only hybrids but all other modes of transportation.

If there is something specific about hybrid impacts on the environment, I could change my mind but right now, I'm not aware of anything unique to our hybrids that isn't already shared by existing gas, flex and electric vehicles. The hybrid-environmental association seems a little weak . . . but I could be pursaded otherwise.

Bob Wilson

Many hybrid owners care about and may want to discuss the environment.

Also, this is "green" hybrid. I don't think it implies young.

There's your link.

P.S. I added a poll to gauge what the users might like. Power to the people!

bwilson4web 09-10-2007 12:45 PM

I don't feel strongly one way or the other. If the environmental discussion has a technical link to hybrid electrics, such as co-generation, I'm inclined towards it. However, if it becomes another "Anything goes," well I'll probably expend as much time as I do today on the "Tax" forum.

Bob Wilson

noflash 09-10-2007 01:40 PM

Well that's too bad. You don't have to be a greenie to have an opinion about the enviro, though...

noflash 09-11-2007 10:16 AM

hmmm... maybe the "green" is for something else...

Jason 09-11-2007 10:57 AM

Typically what we do is wait until there are a lot of topics that fit one specific category, and then make a forum for it. Until then, these best belong in the General forum. When there are several active topics at once about the environment, for instance, then let me know.

noflash 09-11-2007 11:30 AM

You got it. Thanks, J.

leahbeatle 09-11-2007 04:55 PM

I don't know- I think that if there was an environmental section, more people might post environmental stuff, and not just the other way around. I would probably never post news articles here if there wasn't a News/Journalism section. But there is- so I think that people here might like to read that kind of thing if I bother sharing what I see. Just my two cents.

Engineer in Training 09-11-2007 05:17 PM

a solelly environmental subsection? well i dont protest yet will it tie in to the car's impact on the environment? or be about other issues? both would be interesting but i would like to keep the car's involved or some part of technological impact on the environment errors or ben-fits?

yellowkat 09-11-2007 06:52 PM

I am a new owner of a 2008 FEH and one of the main reasons for our purchase was because of how clean the emmissions are from the Escape. I suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitives, which the worse culprit is formaldhyde. So I am highly affected by gas fumes, new car smells and on and on. The Ford Motor company is making it a mission to limit out-gassing in their new vehicles, by using recycled materials and less chemical treatments. Toyota is another new car that I could have tolerated. There is no way we could have purchased any other new vehicle because of out gassing. Volvo has been the leader and Ford is starting to use the same principles.
Anyway we only purchased the FEH this past Saturday and I am already feeling better. Our older car was 9 years old and some of the gas fumes were leaking inside. Other people would never notice but I could. Anyway I love what Ford is doing for the enviroment,for my health and all others. Especially the children of the future. Keep up the good work.

noflash 09-12-2007 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by yellowkat (Post 142815)
I am a new owner of a 2008 FEH and one of the main reasons for our purchase was because of how clean the emmissions are from the Escape. I suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitives, which the worse culprit is formaldhyde. So I am highly affected by gas fumes, new car smells and on and on. The Ford Motor company is making it a mission to limit out-gassing in their new vehicles, by using recycled materials and less chemical treatments. Toyota is another new car that I could have tolerated. There is no way we could have purchased any other new vehicle because of out gassing. Volvo has been the leader and Ford is starting to use the same principles.
Anyway we only purchased the FEH this past Saturday and I am already feeling better. Our older car was 9 years old and some of the gas fumes were leaking inside. Other people would never notice but I could. Anyway I love what Ford is doing for the enviroment,for my health and all others. Especially the children of the future. Keep up the good work.

Wow, I'm glad you found some relief.

I hope you posted your story in its own thread.

Gairwyn 09-12-2007 09:57 AM

yellowcat, thank you for the information you gave regarding your FEH and out-gassing of toxic substances. It's great that Ford and some other auto manufacturers are paying attention to this issue, as I know it affects a lot of people's health.
Is there a listing of cars that you found that made you aware of the FEH being a good choice in this regard? I'd be interested to see what other cars have low out-gassing. I think Ford should make it known that they do this; it's a good thing, but not many people are aware of it.
It's funny, I had just logged onto my computer to look up the location of a store in my area that sells organic bedding & such, and I saw this thread referenced in a post in my e-mail inbox. Kind of a related topic that caught my eye.
Thanks again for the info about out-gassing and cars.
Best of luck to you with your FEH.

noflash 09-12-2007 10:21 AM

Here you go:
http://www.healthycar.org/home.php

leahbeatle 09-12-2007 06:35 PM

I tried the link but couldn't get to the car search information without registering. That's a bit irksome. Still- an interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing it with us, yellowkat!

noflash 09-12-2007 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by leahbeatle (Post 142950)
I tried the link but couldn't get to the car search information without registering. That's a bit irksome. Still- an interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing it with us, yellowkat!

Just click "No Thanks".

yellowkat 09-16-2007 11:02 AM

Hello
The link above was not where I found my information, but it is an interesting site. Hmmm, as much searching I did I still did come up with this one.
One note to consider ... this was for the 2007 not the 08. They are using recycled products now. I wonder how this site will rate the 2008. Also I am mostly concerned with Formaldyde which is not listed on their tests.
Gairwyn, I looked at so much stuff before we decided on the FEH and I don't know if I saved that info. I first went by the smell of the car and was shocked by how well I was able to handle it. Then I started looking into it. I will post the links when I find them. Ours also has the leather premium package. I was concerned about that but everything is going well for me personally.
Also a note on that organic bedding....Look into Bamboo sheets. They feel wonderful. They are a little more expensive but they wash very well and keep their shape. Bamboo grows so quickly that there is no need for pesticides. Watch out on products 100% cotton in the USA, more pesticides are used than you could imagine. Have fun shopping so many more colors and patterns are available now. But I prefer crisp white. Have a great day.

Gairwyn 09-16-2007 11:21 AM

yellowcat, don't go to too much trouble looking up that info; the link that noflash gave was pretty good. It's funny, when I bought my used Civic, one of the reasons I preferred it over the new model was that it didn't have the "new car smell". A bit unusual...most folks love that smell.
I'm very into organics, and usually buy organic cotton wherever possible; I'll keep bamboo in mind too; so far the only bamboo items I've bought are socks, and window blinds. Good stuff.

yellowkat 09-16-2007 06:18 PM

This is an article on Toyota vehicles.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ar-smell_x.htm

And below is an article mostly about Volvo and Ford. This one says they are trying to eliminate PBDE's which is another problem for me. This maybe why the Ford is so agreeable to me.

http://www.emagazine.com/view/?3062&printview&imagesoff

And thanks noflash for the other listing. I saved it.