Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

Dropping first tank for star?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 04:00 AM
Engineering first
Default Dropping first tank for star?

Hi,

My first Prius tank, 251 miles @ 39 MPG, has depressed my 'life time' average. It looks as if I were to delete this first tank, I'd 'get a star' (47.84 -> 48.5 MPG). That first tank led to my subsequent measurements of highway segments to plot MPH vs. MPG. Yet cutting out the 'bad data' from my first tank doesn't seem quite right when I didn't have the MPH vs. MPG data.

Although it would be nice to have a 'star' it would be nicer to earn a 'star' by significantly improving my MPG . . . even with the 'learning curve penalty.' To neutralize the first tank penalty, I'll have to get 251 miles at better than 57 MPG or 502 miles at better than 53 MPG. This will be easier once the warm weather returns or if some of my cold weather experiments turn out successful.

It would nice if we could have a two-star rating. One star would be the existing life-time average and the second would be the rating for the past 3,000 miles. The second star would acknowledge the 'learning curve' and the life-time star would reflect our total vehicle performance including the 'lesson's learned', low MPG. The 'past 3,000 mile' star could help folks pay attention to how well they are doing and handling other environmental issues like cold weather.

Comments?

Bob Wilson

Old 01-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dropping first tank for star?

Pardon my ignorance, Stars? Also what was the temp on your first tank?

Old 01-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Engineering first

Hi,

Originally Posted by Clubford00
Pardon my ignorance, Stars? Also what was the temp on your first tank?
The 'stars' are hypermileage users. If you get better than EPA mileage after 3,000 miles, you car gets a "star."

My mileage started when I picked it up in Texas the first week of October. Temperatures were ~70 the whole way back but I had to drive 818 miles. So I broke up the trip into 2-3 hour segments at different cruise control settings. I used this to start my MPH vs. MPG chart.

Unfortuantely my first tank was also my worst and it was also for 251 miles. If I dropped that tank, I'd get a 'star' but I'd also lose a data-point. My suggestion is having two stars:

1) life-time star
2) last 3,000 miles star

Bob Wilson

Old 01-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Vegetarian

I don't think you should drop your first tank. That would be cheating. Besides the database isn't about getting stars.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:04 AM

Well, its not exactly cheating since there are no real rules and there is no competition. However, dropping tanks is bad because it lowers the validity of the database.

Personaly I look at it as a personal goal. My winter tanks are always bad and I started out at 34mpg. I choose not to drop them because a) its just not the right thing to do, and b) it's what I got. I have raised it up considerably and continue to do so. Imagine how thrilled I will be when the long fight has finaly gotten me that star. I'm sure I'd appreciate it more than someone who selectively enters good tanks.

If you just want stars then here you go

Old 01-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Engineering first

Is some maintenance going on?

I just noticed "Prius 03" has a star under the "Prius I" list. But my earlier posting signatures as well as this one show the current "48.2" MPG without a star. My calculated 'star threshold' is "48.5" MPG.

How or when are "stars" calculated and added?

It might be nice to include in the vehicle summary the current 'star' threshold value. If someone is close, they might make the extra effort. Someone far away might be inspired to do a little research and impove. Those who are slipping will get a 'wake-up.'

This post is as much a signature test as wondering about "stars." What it also reveals is though I was not motivated by 'status' to buy a Prius, 'star status' is important.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 01-16-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:49 AM

Its based on having drivin 3000 miles. Then your mileage is weighted based on how much city/hwy you do.