Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.
View Poll Results: What should we do about our forum software?
Stay with an outdated version.
25.00%
Update & lose the theme.
31.25%
Update & design a new theme.
25.00%
Switch software & lose the theme
0%
Switch software & design a new theme.
18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Software

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Site Founder

The version 1 software of Invision Board that we're using at GreenHybrid is outdated. There is now a version 2 with many more features. In order to upgrade, the themed aspects of the forum would no longer be themed. The header/footer of the site would still be fine, but the forum tables would no longer be orange... they wouldn't be skinned.

I'm asking the community for their input. What should we do? If we decide to update or switch software altogether (perhaps to vBulletin), we could either go un-themed or have a new theme designed for us. This would involve some costs, and we'd have to start raising money... start a forum fund

Again, the main GreenHybrid design would stay. We're talking about the forum-specific area.

Anyway, here's the round table. Discussions start now! B)

Old 12-20-2004, 10:09 PM

I just want to reply to this poll. Why do people always have to upgrade sotftware. Unless there is a security hole or a feature missing from the current software why change? To me the software seems to run very well as is. Who knows what can or worms will be opened up if you changed it.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Site Founder

lol, well right now features are pretty limited. And, there's always the frustrating problems that can't be solved (like how the Hybrid: variable mysteriously stopped showing up on the left side?) Upgrading fixes problems like these and adds tons of more features. Plus, a jump up in a version basically optimizes your experience. More faster.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Jason,

This sounds like a wishy-washy vote, but here it goes.

I think you should use the software you feel most comfortable with or want to learn the most. I think the site is great, but I realize the wheels of progress must turn.

Billy

Old 12-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

I voted to update. We have talked, and if you did upgrade to the newest Invision you could at least have the option to add a photogallery. This version is very limited to what can be done. I would save this style though. It could be easily enough ported to a vBulletin skin.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

Jason,

I also voted to update, but I really like the design of the present site. It's one of the things that first brought me here. It's been fun watching it evolve, and it really looks good now.

Bill

Old 12-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes update to version 2. One big concern with any software would be to keep or enhance your file server security. Let's keep our bugs on our hybrid windshields and not accessing the forum data usage.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Site Founder

So shall I start making plans to update to the most recent version of InvisionBoard? At first, at least, the orange theme will be lost.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Site Founder

Well, it looks like there is no longer a "free" option. Invision Board no longer has a trial version that can support our community. As a result, GreenHybrid will be purchasing a new license to either Invision Board or vBulletin. Both hover towards the $200 range. I'm leaning towards vBulletin, as I trust it a bit more and am familiar with its capabilities.

More to come...

Old 01-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If it isn't broken (I can't stand to use improper grammer) don't fix it.

I worked for a University IT shop for a number of years. If we had to upgrade software for security purposes, we did it and lived through any technical consequences, however if an update came out and it was not mission critical, then we wouldn't updgrade. In general, we would not upgrade with every version release, but we would consider upgrading with every other version release if the improvements were signficant. We would also look at upgrading as a way to eliminate mission critical bugs or annoyances. But if the software was working well and without issue, we would avoid upgrading it.

Does that make any sense? I hope so.

Quick Reply: Forum Software

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands