Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

GreenHybrid newsletter - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Engineering first
Default GreenHybrid newsletter - thoughts?

Hi,

I run a fairly tight set of SPAM filters but do check the collection before deleting. So I was somewhat surprised to find:
GreenHybrid Hypermilers' Newsletter - Edition #1 | Volume #1
Understand this is an initiative by our sponsor's, Internet Brands, and it goes along with their recent improvements. Too soon to tell, I don't know how it will turn out. I do notice more emphasis on "Hypermilers" but otherwise, nothing that really sent me one way or the other.

I was a little surprised that none of the membership had made a comments so after making sure I wasn't 'the first one,' I thought I'd ask you' all had any thoughts?

My only comment is I know how hard it is to keep up a newsletter. We'll see how it goes.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Default Re: GreenHybrid newsletter - thoughts?

Yep, it was in there all right.

I don't check the SPAM on my corporate mail server except about once a week -- when I am in town and at my office, which is not often.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Energy Independence

I did not get the newsletter. I bet my ISP (Time Warner's Roadrunner) trapped it as spam.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 AM
HSD Organic Interface

At first glance, to me it seemed like a "remember us, please come back and visit" notice for old members. Anybody that visits this board regularly probably has already read/discussed the content it provided.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I got it and "unsubscribed" it. The newsletter was unsolicited and has me pondering my future on any InternetBrands-owned forums if this is the kind of liberties they will take with the membership data.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:25 AM
Engineering first

I think you have it right. Ordinarily, we want to 'opt-in', not to have to 'opt-out.' I have found 99% of all "opt-out" lists don't have the quality to justify continuing to receive them.

IMHO, a better approach might have been to start a forum called, "Newsletter" and if someone reads one and wants more, they can click on the "Opt-In." This also solves the problem of new members who would otherwise have no access to earlier versions ... not that this first one was a "barn burner."

Bob Wilson

Old 09-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Site Founder

There is an option in your User CP to toggle whether you'd like to receive emails from the administrator. spinner, at what is this set? If IB ignored this setting I'll certainly have a talk with them, but this is usually where members disable newsletters and things of this sort.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Engineering first

E-mail are one thing and generally speaking, these have been OK. They are rare and to the point. A newsletter, however, promises a steady stream.

Again, I'm not saying they are a 'bad thing,' but it would be helpful if there were an archive of the newsletters, say a forum. Then as the quality improves, folks could go back or more likely, new members, and see some of the historical stuff.

Still, to me the newsletter is an experimental thing and I'm ready to give it a couple more tries. Having edited a newsletter in the past, I know what dog-long and unrewarding it can be.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Site Founder

I'd be happy to hear everyone's thoughts regarding the newsletter, but let's please not dwell on the possibility of op-in. This is not going to be on the table, frankly, so the best thing to do is make peace.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason
There is an option in your User CP to toggle whether you'd like to receive emails from the administrator. spinner, at what is this set?
Mine is and was turned off.

Thanks for looking into it!

Quick Reply: GreenHybrid newsletter - thoughts?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands