Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

How about a checkbox for whether or not a full tank was used?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Geek
Default How about a checkbox for whether or not a full tank was used?

When entering data into the mileage database, it would be nice if there were a checkbox that indicates whether or not the low-fuel alarm went off before the user filled up the tank. This way we can see whether or not a given tank really was a full tank or was just refilled early, and tanks without the checkbox clicked won't be counted in the "average miles per tank" calculation.

That would be useful to me because I've seen alot of Priuses refilled at 9 gallons or less, so they go 400 miles even with 50+ mpg, and I have no idea if they just refueled early or if 400 miles really was the furthest they could go on the tank (due to its variable bladder).

It can just look like "[ ] Did the low-fuel light go on before you got gas?"

Old 01-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: How about a checkbox for whether or not a full tank was used?

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
When entering data into the mileage database, it would be nice if there were a checkbox that indicates whether or not the low-fuel alarm went off before the user filled up the tank. . . .

It can just look like "[ ] Did the low-fuel light go on before you got gas?"
This extra mark doesn't add anything to the MPG nor change the tank specifications. Personally, you'll never see that marked in my database because I shop for low priced gas. Instead of waiting for an alarm and being FORCED to buy gas at whatever price is available, I buy when the price is good.

If you want to perform a Prius bladder capacity vs temperature test, buy one from Ebay and perform a controlled experiment. When you 're done, put the tank back for sale on Ebay and publish the results. But this additional input is of marginal utility since so many other factors influence the amount of fuel the tank holds:

1) fuel temperature / density
2) pump and nozzle characteristics
3) level of platform
4) straight or ethonal or methonal blend (energy density)

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 01-06-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
When entering data into the mileage database, it would be nice if there were a checkbox that indicates whether or not the low-fuel alarm went off before the user filled up the tank. . . .
Why don't you just load the data into Excel and eliminate all entries having some "full tank" value. You could use 11.3 gal for the Prius or something more reasonable like 10 gal.

Alternatively, load the data and do a 'fill-up' size distribution. Then choose to use say the upper 10% or upper 5% as your threshold.

The advantage of this approach is the data is already there. You control the threshold value and there is no need for additional data entry.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

A quick and much easier way to find out the average miles per tank, and could be easily implemented would be to take the avg mpg for that car, find a % that you like of the rated gallons for the tank (that you could use for all of the cars) and multiply that amout with the mpg avg. That would give you the average miles per tank An example: HCH I CVT ULEV 45.2 (current avg mpg) x 13.0 (98.5% of tank capacity) = 587.6 miles per tank. HCH I CVT AT-PZEV 45.2 x 11.7 = 529.7 HCH I MT ULEV 48.0 x 13 = 624 HCH I MT AT-PZEV 48.0 x 11.7 = 562.5 HCH II CVT 45.6 x 12.1 = 552.4 Prius II 47.8 x 11.7 = 560.2. Continue this for all of them.

Summary:

HCH I CVT ULEV = 587.6
HCH I CVT AT-PZEV = 529.7
HCH I MT ULEV = 624.0
HCH I MT AT-PZEV = 562.5
Prius II = 560.2

Simple math that could be added to the top of the compare section. I know nothing of web design, but I don't think it would be hard to add and would give you an idea of what is attainable. It would be nice to have a top ten list of the most miles on a single tank, and a 1000+ mile tank club. special stars or colors ... just an idea.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Site Founder

CGameProgrammer,
While perhaps it would be nice for some members to have this feature, I think it may overly complicate the process and does not provide enough benefit to be effective. However, thanks for the suggestion and I'll think of better ways we can perhaps display this data in the future.