Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

How about temperatures in 5s instead of 10s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Default How about temperatures in 5s instead of 10s?

The temperature around here is averaging 35F. Yet I either have to pick 30 or 40. Can you fix it so we can go by multiples of 5?

Old 03-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tbaleno:

___I don’t know what kind of temps you actually drive in but making an even lower 5 degree spread is almost useless for most. It is at best a guess as to the average temps. I use Weather.com to calculate the temps of my starting out point and destination each and every drive and keep a running total in my head. After the tank is done, I create a type of average that somewhat models the actuals but is by no means an actual number. A better way of explaining it is this, is the temperature at the time you leave in the morning within 5 degrees of the temperature you arrive home in the evening? I highly doubt it let alone the small variables in local trips to the mall/grocery store/movie house at varying times and temperatures of the day … I work a rotating days off - rotating shift and keeping track of that mess within 5 degrees would be best left for the mathematicians with a mileage weighted - real time - actual average …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-22-2005, 12:32 PM

when I leave the house and when I return there is usualy a 10 degree difference. For instance When I go to work the temperature is 27 or so, when I get home its 38. Do I put down 30 or 40? thats why I would like it to go by 5s. It was just an idea. It realy doesn't matter since like you point out the data realy going to be accurate anyway. It was just something I'd like to see.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tbaleno:

___That was today. What about tomorrow, the next day, and the day after that? Unless you fill up every day, there is a bit of guesstimating and you have to average to something. Do you think a 24 degree/38 degree/28 degree/43 degree/18 degree/27 degree/15 degree temp commute can be averaged down to 5 degrees? There is upwards of 15 degree difference between my home and work locations in the summer let alone the day, to afternoon, to night commute temp differences in my own driving commutes.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-22-2005, 02:30 PM

The range is pretty consistant for me. But like I said its not a huge deal. It is just a random number based loosely on reality. I just wanted it to have finer detail.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Site Founder

Haha, chill there, guys. The way I saw it when I created the system was that the figures like temperature and trip time are completely subjective and presumably inaccurate. By using 5 unit increments, it's leaving the impression that the data is actually scientific; it isn't. Wayne, you're right in that most people can't pinpoint the exact temperature. tbaleno, you're right in that ten degrees isn't too accurate. But, I'm between a rock and a hard place. If I drop it down to 5 degrees, what about those people who don't really pay attention too much (like me)? Maybe the temperature is somewhere between 50 and 70, so I pick 60. But, if it goes in 5's? Maybe 55, 60, 65. I won't know! And the extra choices are eventually just going to make things PRESUMABLY accurate, not accurate. When they're averaged out, at least.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:54 PM

Heh. I wasn't upset or anything. It was just an idea. I wasn't married to it. Hey, at least I didn't ask to go by 1s

Old 03-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think the 10 degree things are OK, If I had my 'druthers' I'd like the trip percentage thing to, at a minimum, include a 50% option, and ideally 10%, 25%, 33%, 50%, 67%, 75%, and 90%.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Site Founder

By trip percentage do you mean highway percentage? That's another of those completely subjective values that don't mean much, anyway.

I would like to add an attribute to the cars for speed... the percentage over/under the speed limit that they usually drive.