Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

Hypermileage vs. new EPA ratings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Engineering first
Question Hypermileage vs. new EPA ratings?

What happens if (when) new EPA ratings come out for the existing hybrid electrics?

For models still in production, I'd expect the new rates to apply without a problem. But what about the Prius I drivers, would there be an attempt to apply an "engineering factor" to our EPA limits since it is unliky Toyota would go back and retest for the Prius Classics?

Bob Wilson

Old 02-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: Hypermileage vs. new EPA ratings?

Well, they can and they will. I haven't yet thought about how we'd change the mileage database to reflect the EPA's findings but I suppose we would come up with new criteria for rating cars. It really depends how much more accurating the ratings are.

As for the Prius I, well, that's an interesting hurdle. We'll just have to see what the EPA does and make intelligent choices here to reflect that.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Hypermileage vs. new EPA ratings?

Originally Posted by Jason
. . . I suppose we would come up with new criteria for rating cars. . . .
A radical approach might be to use a statistical method. Calculate the mean and standard deviation. Everyone at or above one standard deviation from the average would get a star. For a normal, bell-curve distribution, that would be the upper third.

Another approach would be count and order all values. Then take the upper 20% ( "B" and above when grading on a curve) to get a star.

Both approaches avoid the problem of EPA 'moving the goal posts.' Unfortunately it doesn't do much for the ratio of city/highway MPG but then that is also an EPA artifact.

Bob Wilson