Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

I need therapy (or, "Why I like GreenHybrid")

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I need therapy (or, "Why I like GreenHybrid")

Edmunds is ruled and occupied by trolls.

Last spring I made the mistake of posting 1-2 tips for efficiency.
I mentioned that in a couple of favorable conditions I'll switch to N and free-wheel down a gentle, almost level downhill where my natural speed wouldn't exceed 35-40.
(Didn't even mention reboot, and made it as benign as posible)

Several members jumped all over it, and even a moderating host equated it to one of his own experiences.

He mentioned he was driving down a mountainside road and didn't downshift, but relied on his brakes as a speed limiter. On the bottom of the hill he was suprised by an unexpected red traffic light. Since he was riding his brakes down that mountain his overheated brakes were no longer functioning.
He "Careened" through the traffic light in dreadful fear for his life before regaining control.

His last comment was "But hey, it's your life not mine" and "Doesn't want to fear hypermilers" while on the road.

While I was fully aware of that Edmunds has become a house of trolls I expected more from their staff.

Because of that I decided not to post any FE tips there that have any substance at all.
Kind of sad i think.
But I still go there to prod them in a couple of forums.

Thanks for the link AZCivic, pretty nutty there as well.
Gives me an idea.
Perhaps there is a general gas price forum I could bust into with some information.
Anyone know of any good ones? (Not region specific, just gas prices in general)

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 08-27-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just to come back to the original thought for a sec, I'm also really appreciative of the manner these boards are run. Yeah, we've all got different beliefs and lifestyles that are as drastic and contrasted as anywhere else, because that's the way the world is and should be. But GH is one of the VERY few sites, or really communication forums of any medium, that has a community which chooses to generally set all that aside and actually - GASP - come here to focus on the reason for the site itself. The outcome is the most helpful, expert, reliable, focused, and friendly online community I've ever been a part of, and that goes beyond just those devoted to hybrid vehicles. It's always a pleasure to come here and get or give help to others who are focused on just that. Thanks all. I really think you should be proud of the community you've created and upkept.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Site Founder

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. It's taken a lot of hard work between myself, the mods and members to get GreenHybrid where it is today. The "community" is the most valuable part of the site. Remember, everything here is created by you. Each of the four sections contains content by you. This may not be the largest, the richest or the oldest car site on the web, but it very well may have the most positive and friendly atmosphere. Thanks again!

Old 08-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coyote

The issue is that she recently popped up again to complain about the "Honda Civic Hybrid seats".

I pointed out that there are no such thing as "Honda Civic Hybrid seats", because they are the same seats as in all Honda Civics.
I can sympathize with your frustration. I also appreciate the level headed thinking and posting that goes on here at GH. As a new hybrid owner I have found GH to be a great resource. Thank you to all who make it possible.

However, not having read the posts on that forum you mentioned I may be out of line pointing this out here, but I do have to disagree with you on the issue of the HCH seats. I have a 2004 HCH and the seats are very narrow. I commute with a friend who has a 2003 regular Civic and his seats are absolutely not the same. I suppose the difference could have been in the model year, but I tell you my seats have more side bolstering and they're narrower, so narrow that I find them uncomfortable. I have no problem with the standard civic seats. You may believe that they're the same, but I sit in both kinds for two hours a day - switching between them daily - and I can assure you they're not the same seat.

Last edited by zimbop; 08-27-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:32 PM

Whoa, did I never reply to zimbop's message? Sorry about that! I never usually come down this low on the list of forum groups.

And thanks for the input about the seats. Since reading your post, I have tried to compare my seat with others' Civic seats, but to no avail. I'll just take your word for it. Maybe the purpose is to keep those hypermiler's bottoms firmly planted in the seat after all...

Old 09-29-2005, 08:44 PM

Okay, here is why I came back to this group. I did it again. I went over to the other forum, which shall remain nameless, other than to say that it rhymes with "edmunds".

So I wander in, and find myself in reading a sequence of posts lambasting one of the prime hybrid-doubters on the forum. But who seems (to me) to be fairly reasonable and thick-skinned and tolerant of getting lambasted. And who also happens to own a GM pickup 'hybrid', which was why, in this particular case, he was being hammered.

So I made the foolish observation that roasting this individual for their choice was probably a waste of energy, and most likely has the effect of pushing fence-sitters *away* from considering hybrids, rather than towards. It is a strategy that is almost guaranteed to backfire.

The result was that (1) I was accused of hero-worship of this individual, and (2) my posts pointing out what I just said above (waste of energy, backfiring, etc.) were removed from the forum! Geez, I think I'm a pretty friendly and non-argumentative guy -- and I'm being censored on a forum!

It's really quite hilarious.

But when will I ever learn?! From now on, this is me ---> I promise

Old 09-30-2005, 05:37 PM
FEH Advocate

Has anyone considered the stereotypical hybrid owner ... geek, techie, and/or enviro ... all three of which are known to have above average intellect?

Agree about the below level postings at some of the gear-head forums, but think the other hybrid forums are all pretty decent.

I am also impressed at the GH camaraderie spanning the age groups, seems hybrids are a source of commonality between generations. There may be hope for the future after all.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:11 PM

Coyote, stick around with us. It's a pretty nice thing we've got going here.