Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

Log columns: "cost per tank"

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Opec Nightmare
Exclamation Log columns: "cost per tank"

Hi~
I hope all is well with everyone. We were wondering if it might be possible to consider adding an additional column in the fuel log having something to do with "cost per tank." For example, this summer we paid approx. $3.40 per gallon but received close to 70 MPG for a cost of $ 24.29 to travel 500 miles. Today we only received approx. 50 MPG but we only had to pay
24 ¢ per gallon for 10 gallons for a total expense of $2.40 to travel 500 miles. Thus we saved about $20 on the tank that we only received 50 MPG. Although we know this is a very unique situation we ran into regarding fuel price, at the current cost of fuel we are still running about even on cost even though our fuel economy is suffering because of very cold temperatures.

We feel that this would be an interesting column to add as fuel costs are typically cheaper in the winter months and certainly appreciate your consideration.

Cheers

Old 12-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Opec Nightmare
Exclamation Re: Log columns: "cost per 100 miles"

Perhaps we could have a column for "cost per 100 miles" so we could show the information.

Originally Posted by bear15
Hi~
I hope all is well with everyone. We were wondering if it might be possible to consider adding an additional column in the fuel log having something to do with "cost per tank." For example, this summer we paid approx. $3.40 per gallon but received close to 70 MPG for a cost of $ 24.29 to travel 500 miles. Today we only received approx. 50 MPG but we only had to pay
24 ¢ per gallon for 10 gallons for a total expense of $2.40 to travel 500 miles. Thus we saved about $20 on the tank that we only received 50 MPG. Although we know this is a very unique situation we ran into regarding fuel price, at the current cost of fuel we are still running about even on cost even though our fuel economy is suffering because of very cold temperatures.

We feel that this would be an interesting column to add as fuel costs are typically cheaper in the winter months and certainly appreciate your consideration.

Cheers

Old 01-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Log columns: "cost per tank"

I agree it would be nice. Since the price of gas isn't a constant it is nice to know actual savings at the pump compared to what I would have to pay using my older vechicle.

I've been putting the data in the other notes. I figured when I wanted to crunch the numbers I
could have it in one location.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: Log columns: "cost per tank"

I actually have a spreadsheet that I created that let's me compare data between my TCH and what it would have been in my old car. The old car stats are based on the avg MPG I had with it. I also had to adjust for the cost of Premium fuel for it. The sheet does all of the calculations based on the current fuel purchase though. If anyone's interested in getting a copy of it let me know.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs up Re: Log columns: "cost per tank"

I did the same thing to compare my fuel costs between the TCH and my "old" Tundra. So far, its pretty close to half. I add the calculated savings to my Toyota payment as extra on principle each month, and so far I have knocked five months off of the loan -- and LOTS of interest.