Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

Mileage Database Features - Submit your ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Mileage Database Features - Submit your ideas

Obviously, move all the Honda Civic II's that are listed as I's to the correct data base. Also, create a field for percent of city/ highway driving for each tank. Would also be nice to be able to compare comparably-sized hybrids (e.g. Prius and Civic). Overall, I think the data base is excellent and is a lot easier to read than the one on that "other" hybrid site.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Site Founder

Of course I correspond with Internet Brands via email and phone as well, but I'll post some of my suggestions for the benefit of the community.

- AJAX
- iPhone submission application
- mobile version

Old 08-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover

Why are temperature and ride time required? ...
It's, sort of, needed, since one member might be from the northeast, where it gets down to 10 degrees with a 10 minute commute and another can be from Arizona with 90 degree days and a 50 minute commute.
Results will vary greatly.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for asking -
1) I think that limiting the DB to those that have 5= tanks limits the "fun factor" of those that just got their hybrid and want to join in the fun...so I vote to keep it open to those that are just starting out too.
2) I agree with removing those that have NOT posted in 1+ months ("normal" people will fill up a tleast once per month).
3) Having the "system" automatically claculate the mileage would be beneficial (there is at least one post that, when calculated is equal to 68 mpg for a hyHi. Sorry - not possible even going down hill both directions).
4) Keep the temperature. It is important information as the Hybrid system *should* get less mileage with colder temps since the ICE needs to run more often.
5) Graphic Icons of the vehicles are good, but need to allow you to go to the specific model once "clicked" or "rolled over" i.e. 2WD vs 4WD HyHi.
6) allowing you to sort based on each relative column would be a nice touch.
7) Hypermiler doesn't do anything for me, but to some it's important to get the teachers "star" - so leaving it doesn't bother me.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rdalemercer
2) I agree with removing those that have NOT posted in 1+ months ("normal" people will fill up a tleast once per month).
I would disagree with a 1 month cutoff. I've gone a few weeks between fillups, so I'd hate to have my info deleted because I filled up and didn't enter for a week.

We definitely need to get rid of the "one-and-done"s, but I'd set the time cutoff at something more like 3 months.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbone526
I would disagree with a 1 month cutoff. I've gone a few weeks between fillups, so I'd hate to have my info deleted because I filled up and didn't enter for a week.

We definitely need to get rid of the "one-and-done"s, but I'd set the time cutoff at something more like 3 months.
I'd second that.
It's not unusual for some people to be out of touch for four or five weeks. Some people have jobs which take them to field sites where they just aren't online or not conveniently online.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

This is good stuff. I am watching this thread, just not yet actively participating.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

1. Everyone's odometer shows miles/km to the nearest 0.1, and nearly all gas pumps show gallons/liters to the nearest 0.001. We should be able to enter our data to that precision as well.

2. Toughen up the "hypermiler" criteria. Minimum should be EPA + 10% for at least 10,000 miles.

3. All vehicles with <3000 miles should go to the bottom of the list, as it takes time to develop a representative history.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

A couple more thoughts:

- How about keeping track of people's mileages, but don't include them in the overall statistics until they've entered a minimum number of tanks (3). I was just browsing the TCH section of the database and noticed a significant number of entries at the bottom of the list that are apparently one-and-done. By not including these numbers into overall averages until people have entered a few, it would help to reduce outliers in the data and not skew the numbers quite so much. The mileage info would be available to view, but shouldn't be included in the "class average" calculations.

- Speaking of the "class average", is each car in the database weighted equally in the overall mileage calculation for the model, or is the overall average based on adding all the miles and all the gallons? Example: if my average is 40mpg (having traveled 10,000 miles), and someone else's average is 20mpg (having traveled 2,000 miles), would that make the average for the TCH 30mpg (average of 40 and 20) or would it be 34.3mpg (figuring the number of gallons and miles traveled altogether)?

You can make an argument for both calculation methods, so maybe show both answers?

Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 PM
Site Founder

tbone, the average is the mileage of the median car for the particular model.

Quick Reply: Mileage Database Features - Submit your ideas

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands