Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

MPG manual calculation a must!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG manual calculation a must!

Based on the few posts here, I almost want to get a Honda. It seems to me that Honda hybrids have more accurate displays, unlike my Prius -5!

Old 11-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by New Yorker
Based on the few posts here, I almost want to get a Honda. It seems to me that Honda hybrids have more accurate displays, unlike my Prius -5!
I use the MFD for experiments but have always manually calculated the fuel burn for my vehicle performance.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes my 06' civic is generally 1-2mpg lower than manual calculation (I always use manual when entering here). Keep in mind though there was a class action against Honda about the accuracy of their odometers (I don't remember it being very large but hey if you got the extended warranty and it broke down at 101,000 miles you're still covered!).

Old 11-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My Civic's computer estimations are lower than what I calculate, per tank. BUT, if the Trip B measure is true and it hasn't been reset since factory, then the computer's overall estimation is getting closer to my figures.

I don't like small samplings anyways. There's too much magnitude of error. If you get 70 MPG on a 100 mile drive, I'll say good for you, but I don't believe it.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Oh my god! Has any one seen the "Big Red ! Sign" gasoline out?

I ran out of the last drop of gas today. Thank God I had a 80% charged battery at that time, but only assisted me for two blocks with moderate uphill. The battery displayed purple and then nothing! I stopped the electronic system and restarted in a minute. That gave us a half block more luck.

My two sons and two guests had to push the famous Prius for the last half a block to a gas station.

You know what? When I refilled to full capacity, I expected to be 11.5 Galons. But the most I could pump in was 9.3 gal!!! Today's temp was 43 degrees F.

Anyone can explain?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Engineering first

Hi,

Oh my god! Has any one seen the "Big Red ! Sign" gasoline out?
About two dozen times.

I ran out of the last drop of gas today. Thank God I had a 80% charged battery at that time, but only assisted me for two blocks with moderate uphill. The battery displayed purple and then nothing! I stopped the electronic system and restarted in a minute. That gave us a half block more luck.
At what speed? Was the heater running? Can you give street addresses so we can use Google Earth to measure the altitude change?

My two sons and two guests had to push the famous Prius for the last half a block to a gas station.
Must have been level at that point.

You know what? When I refilled to full capacity, I expected to be 11.5 Galons. But the most I could pump in was 9.3 gal!!! Today's temp was 43 degrees F.

Anyone can explain?
The variable size tank is part of it but getting only 9.3 gallons seems excessive even at 43F. I've been doing my fuel studies above 50F so I need to find out if there is a temperature factor.

We know the bladder is made of a flexible material. What we don't know is how much flexibility is lost at cooler temperatures.

Bob Wilson

ps. Normally a vehicle specific problem would be discussed in the vehicle forum but that is a guideline, not a hard and fast.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast

The Big Triagle ! Sign was very frightening and the ICE dies immediately after the the Big Red ! Sign came up.

The uphill was almost flat but the electric engine drained out the battery in three blocks. Speed 5 to 15 MPH.

I was so focused on how to drag that "laughing stock" to a gas station that I forgot to turn the heater off. The address was Ice House, 111 Midtown Bridge Approach, Hackensack, NJ 07601

People saw us may laugh at us: "Trying to save the environment? Save your *** first!"

Old 11-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Engineering first

The Big Triagle ! Sign was very frightening and the ICE dies immediately after the the Big Red ! Sign came up.

The uphill was almost flat but the electric engine drained out the battery in three blocks. Speed 5 to 15 miles per hour.

I was so focused on how to drag that "laughing stock" to a gas station that I forgot to turn the heater off. The address was Ice House, 111 Midtown Bridge Approach, Hackensack, NJ 07601
You took a right on Riverside Road to the Ever Ready station? That would have been about 0.33 miles. That should have been within range if all extra electrical drains were off and the car warmed up. But a cold car, driving lights, and heater and you'd be toast.
. . . People saw us may laugh at us: "Trying to save the environment? Save your *** first!"
Don't feel bad. Check out the "You know your a hybrid owner when . . ." You may have a candidate entry. <grins>

About the fill-up, does New Jersey still require a station attendant to fill the tank? If they decided to use a rapid fill and stop at the first click, they could have gotten a premature, gas cutoff.

I don't know if you can ask them to use a slow fill. Alternatively, just drive to the next station, after dropping off your passengers, and get it topped off. The second attendant won't know what the level is so you should be able to get a complete fill-up.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-23-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have not seen anybody even comment on this. If you are not going to trust the fuel economy your car gives you, why would you trust the miles driven your car gives you? If you then take the miles driven your car gives you and use that to calculate your fuel economy, is that any better?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
I have not seen anybody even comment on this. If you are not going to trust the fuel economy your car gives you, why would you trust the miles driven your car gives you? If you then take the miles driven your car gives you and use that to calculate your fuel economy, is that any better?
After changing tires, I take the car to a section of road with state maintained mile markers so I can compare the trip meter value to the mile markers. This lets me check the vehicle calibration and if there is a problem, figure out the adjustment factor.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-24-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: MPG manual calculation a must!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands