Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

Site Work in Progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Site Founder
Default Site Work in Progress

I just thought I'd let you know I'm working on a couple things for the site. First, I'm looking to make the homepage dynamic again. It will display the latest site announcements much like it did before. Since we're using different software, though, it's not simple to set up. I'm actually improvising. I hope it works! Also, I'm creating a second graph for each of the cars' data pages that includes both mileage and temperature so that one may see how they relate. You can see a preview here, but it's not done yet and for some reason the values aren't calculating correctly. I live in Orlando, and we definitely haven't had 0 degree months

Old 02-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___Not bad, not bad at all …

___Can you consider changing the temp scales range to a /2 or similar? I would hate to see some member’s graphs who are achieving 40 mpg on average in 90 + degree temps. The Temp graph will skew what the FE one is supposed to look like with the extended Y-Axis. My Ranger and the lower end Prius’ and HCH’s come to mind during the summer. Then again, the Insight’s would all be skewed with a smaller temp graph height then the FE received in the winter months? Chew on this thought for awhile is all.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 02-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Site Founder

All that is just gravy. First thing is to get the data correct, but I'm not sure why it isn't working. I've tried a few methods. SUM(distance*temp)/SUM(distance) for each month SHOULD give an average temperature. But, does it look like it is?

Old 02-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Site Founder

Haha, okay, well I finished the graph. It's now available on the detailed car page in the database. However, it doesn't seem like temperature is extremely influential as far as mileage goes! Haha, it's nice to look at, anyway.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:19 AM

Hi Jason:

___Very nice. I see the temp graph on the right with its own range.

___As for temperature not effecting FE, I don’t know about that. In 70 - 90 degree temps, 100 - 110 is the norm. In 0 degree temps, I am lucky to see 72 mpg. The next time Chicago hits a cold snap, you need to come up here and experience it for yourself … Skiing and ice skating are great. FE in our vehicle of choice however sucks

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 02-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Site Founder

Take a look again. It now has the old graph as default and a dropdown to add either temperature or trip time. Neat, huh?

Old 02-12-2005, 11:45 AM

Hi Jason:

___It keeps getting better and better

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 02-13-2005, 12:50 PM

A deffinate thanks for the new graphs jason. After a little tooling around on a hunch, it looks like for most people that if you average the temp/month and time-per-ride/month graphs you get a curve very similar to the milage graph. Perhaps milage (as has been said before) is a function of milage and tempurature.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Site Founder

Yes, I noticed this before. I tried averaging them, but because trip time is not on a fixed scale and can typically go anywhere from 10 minutes to 300 minutes, the final graph almost always ends up looking very similar to the trip time graph. Perhaps I can find a way to scale it correctly and then factor it in with temperature.

By the way, it's "mileage," not "milage."

Old 02-13-2005, 07:32 PM

Yah...I can't spell. Its a fact.