Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

Status of the GreenHybrid Mileage Database

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Status of the GreenHybrid Mileage Database

Seems like the database link is broken. I can't access it. Also, I can't access the "Compare" link at the top.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hmmm...it seems to work if you go through "Select Your Vehicle" and drill down to the particular model you want, but the link in the top left corner of the website is broken. The link that says "VIEW AND TRACT YOUR MILEAGE - CLICK HERE".

It points to https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...showmpgsummary which results in "page not found".

Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 PM
IB Staff

Is this what you are looking for?
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...showmpgsummary

Old 11-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Is there an API I can code against to submit tanks and get back average mpg info if I want to write an Android app?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 AM
IB Staff

hey soopah, I honestly have no idea, but I doubt it. What would you need, an XML feed of the data?

cheers,
robb

Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Typically an API works like so:

Hit a URL like:

www.greenhybrid.com/api/<username>/mpg

And get back data like (in JSON in this case):
[{id: 1, mpg: 48.7, gallons: 8.1, miles: 394.1}, {id: 2, mpg: 30.4},...]

Those are just made-up values - it would return whatever the columns are in the database for the MPG for a given user. A list of data points for that user's MPG so far.

JSON is a replacement for XML that's basically Javascript. It's a lot shorter than XML for transferring the same amount of data. It's pretty easy to write as you see above - lists of things look like [ , , , ] and things that are more complex than a number or string (objects) look like {prop1: value1, prop2: value2}

A request like the above is called a "GET." It's what you do when you visit a webpage. API calls can also POST, where they write data to the server. For example, it would be nice if a POST to:
www.greenhybrid.com/api/<username>/addtank

With data like:
{mpg: 48.7, date: '11/10/2010', miles: 394, gallons: 8}

Would add a tank to the database.

If API calls like the above existed, iPhone and Android apps would be relatively easy to write that show a user a form for adding a tank, and show them various views of their MPG data.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 PM
IB Staff

Hey soopah, it sounds like this could be technically possible. I'll bring it up in our weekly team meeting, and see whether I can get you a timeframe on implementation.

Thanks for the idea & suggestion

cheers,
robb

Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

The old mileage database used to have a nice graph function. Are there any plans to bring it back?

Also, is there a way to import your own data back to your home PC? If so, what kind of format would the data be in?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks again, Gairwyn. I really liked the old database display. It was quite easy to see the trends, especially seasonal variation in gas mileage due to the effects of cold weather and winter gasoline blends. I lost interest in posting my data with the new database. I now have 98,000 miles on my FEH, nearly double from what I had posted with the old database.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 AM
IB Staff

hi there,

thanks for your feedback. I will inquire if we can do anything to make the new graphs like the older ones.

cheers,
robb