Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

Thread Rating Abuse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Banned
Question Thread Rating Abuse?

I just noted that Hybrid owner fights back! thread had the lowest possible rating (one star), until I gave it five stars to get it up to three. This is not a thread I started, but it's happened to other threads.

The common denominator seems to be to rate down any hypermiling or anti gas-guzzeling thread. The Hybrid owner fights back! thread does not seem to be controversial or provactive to people who like hybrids - the people that are supposed to join GreenHybrid.

This looks like trolling and/or from a member that is not a hybrid enthuasist. Just because this is happening, I still think a Reputation Rating could be brought back in a more troll-resistant way. Back to thread rating, if the active members vote on threads more often, it will drown trolls.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thread Rating Abuse?

Dang didn't know about this rating threads..kevin

Old 01-17-2006, 09:15 AM

I guess thats what we should do. I will now start to rate threads to prevent one person from dominating and possibly skewing the results.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

It will probably take a future version of vBulletin, but the administrator needs the ability to check the members voting in the threads, just like the Reputation. A cool tweak would be to identify if someone is just rating all threads bad, then remove their ability to rate threads.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have yet to read a thread based on its rating, anybody else?

Old 01-17-2006, 11:11 AM

I rate threads. I don't recall if I rated that one. But, it doesn't look familiar.

I've given threads one star. The average vote I've given so far is "average."

I rate them based on content, importance, and if I gained any knowledge from it. If the thread says something to the effect of "how to improve FE," I rate it highly. If it just says "I get X mpgs and I rock" I rate it low.

I try to rate threads often, but I usually get too lazy to do so.

EDIT: Oh, and I voted average in this thread. But thinking about it now, I should have voted lower, as this thread is really just a complaint on how everyone else is voting and didn't really provide any information.

Last edited by bar10dah; 01-17-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bar10dah
EDIT: Oh, and I voted average in this thread. But thinking about it now, I should have voted lower, as this thread is really just a complaint on how everyone else is voting and didn't really provide any information.
I understand occasional low ratings.

A pattern of rating down threads that promote hypermiling, hybrid apologetics, and question the use of so many gas-guzzlers is not whining - it's pointing out we may have a person(s) that wish to detract from the core belief of this forum. Opposing the core belief of a forum most or all the time defines trolling for whoever the shoe fits. Spare me the "free speech" nonsence of an inalienable right to discuss cockfighting, animal abuse, etc. in a pet forum....

Old 01-17-2006, 01:58 PM

So we are in agreement then.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I haven't paid too much attention to rating. I guess it is important if i think about someone browsing the site, but that would mean we should rate the ones with arguements really low so they don't get a bad taste in thier mouth from this site? I think the trolls do need to go, but it is hard to tell sometime. And, you never know, they may see the light one day and come back to apologize. I haven't rated one thread yet, but I guess I could start. I never knew it was that important, but I will start making an effort you you Delta

Edit: I think we should have the ability to change our rating, let's say if the thread started out bad and became better, vice versa.

Last edited by bluesesshomaru17; 01-17-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:25 PM

I'd like it if we could change our votes in a poll. Sometimes, either my opinion changes due to new information, or the facts change due to current circumstances.

Like, if I originally voted that I did 15-20 over the speed limit. After some time, I could change it to 5-10 over the speed limit.

Or when I graduate next year, I can say I have a bachelors...

Quick Reply: Thread Rating Abuse?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands