Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.
View Poll Results: What should we do with the Mileage Database?
Revamp, baby! Lets see what the Green Machine can do.
68.75%
Hold your horses, J-dawg. I'm not so sure about this.
31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

What to do with the Mileage Database?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Site Founder
Exclamation What to do with the Mileage Database?

Let's face it. I'm no computer code expert. I'm bad with security, inexperienced with languages and rediculously slow. I was just looking in the backend and may have noticed a very simple reason why temperature averages never seemed to work -- I was storing them in the wrong format. Simple as that. One little switch and I could have fixed it. Well, it's gotten me thinking and now I'd like to know what you think.

We can keep on with my minor updates every so often, but we've got to face that once I hit college I'm not going to be able to keep up. My dedication to the laborious coding is waning and quite simply: I'm not up to the task. I propose that we invest in Version 2 of the GreenHybrid Mileage Database, scripted by a real developer with real talent, who can incorporate all our feature requests and revamp the system to something we can truly be proud of.

Of course, there's no such thing as a free lunch. I'd have to research the the price tag on something like this would be. I predict it would be more than a few hundred dollars, but hopefully not much more than a grand. Fundraising may be important.

Anyway, I'm asking the community what you think ought be done. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Default Re: What to do with the Mileage Database?

I wouldn't want to lose my data. So it would have to include converting over the existing database.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Could you just leave it as is? Would you have to do any updates?
If you are pricing out the development of a new version, wouldn't you also have to include the cost of maintenance?
I love the database, and sincerely hope that one way or the other you can keep it around. I would certainly be willing to support it to some extent.
Thanks for all teh fantastic work so far!
M

Old 05-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Site Founder

Tom, oh of course! No dad would be lost. That's rediculous. You voted for "no..." Was this dependant on whether the data is retained? I could see if I could change it.

MGBGT, there are many features that I simply haven't had the time, desire or ability to implement. As far as "maintenance," I can take care of the basics and modify minor existing code just fine if need be. It's creating the beast in the first place that's the problem.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:38 AM

It wasn't a no it was a "I'm not sure about this"

Old 05-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Site Founder

lol. Well, my intention was to make humorous yes/no choices, but I suppose I'll leave it at yes/not sure

Old 05-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast

Jason, Jason, Jayyyysssonnn,,,,,,

What the HE@#$% do you think you're doing going to college? In my HUMBLE opinion, you got some talent boy!

I've seen enough web-sites to recognize the good and the bad, and greenhybrid.com is one of the best I've visited, and one of the few that I frequent, because it's pretty freaking awesome. If you're thinking about revamping, I don't have any, zero, no doubt that you'll make tremendous improvments. If you ask someone else to do it, and pay them, make sure they're truely professional, and earn what you pay them. I think they'd have a hard time equalling what you do. Many of the websites I've seen were not worth the electrons they were printed with. You'll probably spend more time looking for someone with capabilities that exceed yours than you'd spend learning how to do it yourself.

I've noticed the changes that you've made along the way, and most of them were for the better. Technically, you can't be beat. Graphically you do a very good job, maybe you should look a little more at the graphic content, and work with a graphic artist, although your own sense of design ain't half bad.

I'm curious about what exactly you're looking at changing. Making it more functional? It already outclasses most other sites, you're talking about improving it how?

I can hardly wait to see what else you're capable of.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Site Founder

Thanks for all the compliments. A few things to point out. First off, I'm no magical coder. My knowledge of programming languages is next to none. I get by... sort of... by asking tons of advice, using roundabout methods and failing to stay up-to-date with web technologies. My primary area of "expertise" if you'd like to call it is business management and web design. Everything you see here is the result of that.

What would I like to change? Security. Better integration. Easier additions. Optimized code. Things are to the point where I've added so many features after-the-fact that I'm not even sure what's where and what may happen if I change this or that. Can I add this feature? Not sure, because it relies on that function and I'm not sure if that function works correctly. From a developer's perspective, it's a mess.

Here's another way to look at it: I can't guarantee the database can undergo more batches of upgrades. I can't guarantee that the data won't be hacked. I can't guarantee much at all because I simply don't have control anymore.

You're right in that I may be spending a lot of time finding someone who suits my expectations. But I wouldn't hand the job to anyone who isn't up to the task.

Also, you may want to vote. And I don't know what that signature is supposed to be, but it looks like a combination of meatloaf and potato salad from where I'm standing

Old 05-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Enthusiast

Jason,

First, I got my signature figured out now, instead of the meatato goulash, it now looks OK. That was indicative of my very amatuerish attempts at coding and copying what you indicated was the signature ID, it would be nice to have that automated to a checkbox on the profile page.

Second, you don't have any security problems that are evident to me. I've been the defacto "webmaster" on another site, and the server lets a lot of spam leak through, and I haven't seen anything like that on your site.

Third, you can never guarantee anything, but your success to date speaks volumes, and you may be aware of many problems that you face daily, but it doesn't show through the web-site.

Thanks again.

Improved signature:

Old 05-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Based on your more detailed replies Jason,
I have now voted for 'Revamp'.

Great job so far, thanks mucho!
M

Quick Reply: What to do with the Mileage Database?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands