06 highlander emergency flashers problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default 06 highlander emergency flashers problems

about 4 weeks ago my sister called me explaining her flashers wouldnt turn off by the switch randomly one day, and she hadnt turned them on to begin with. key in, key out, key off, key on.... didnt matter. so i removed the fuse under the hood for the night. couple days later i started trouble shooting and and now they only flash with key on.

If theres anybody on here with some thech data they could share id appreciate. this is what all ive done so far to no avail. I have a hanes manuel that doesnt cover the hybrid, I was hoping the wiring would be the same as far as the chassis, but i was wrong.

-replaced hazard relay at cabin fuse box
-i noticed while jiggling the combination/turn signal switch the rate the hazards flasshed would change It would flash VERY fast than not at all. so i replaced the combo switch (not cheap btw).
-disconnect the hazard swtich at the center console, still flash
-disconnect the combination switch at the sterring column, still flash
-checked all bulbs for a burnt bulb or corrosion there was none
-checked all fuses cabin and engine compartment

Did a little trouble shooting with the wiring but theres not much info online for the hybrid. the hazard switch has 4 wires. 1 brown and 3 white.
at the flasher relay there are 8, auqua, white, green, white w black stripe, orange, black and blue.
i found continuity between the orange wire from the relay to the 3rd white wire, that would be the second wire from the brown.

when trying to figure if it was a power or ground this happened.
-grounding the test light and touching orange nothing happens, test light does not light up.
-test light 12v to orange the hazards lights work normally under my control along with the turn signals but test light doesnt lite.

when testing the 4 wires at the hazard switch to find what was hot and what was ground this happened
-test light grounded. no results. flashers still flashing away and no test light feedback
-test light 12v all light the test light but the 3rd white wire, 2nd from the brown, same one from earlier test. also with this wire being tested the hazards operate normally, under my control along with the truns.

she bought this car brand new in 06, nothing aftermarket ever installed. always taken to toyota with the exception of this instance.

any suggestions greatly appriciated! thanks