2008 HiHY - Energy Flow Meter

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 HiHY - Energy Flow Meter

I have a question about the energy flow meter on the 2008 Highlander Hybrid. I am talking about that square screen type display that you see on the Prius. In the pictures, I have seen it on the 2008 Highlander Hybrid. However, I am not sure if it comes standard on the base model and the limited or if it is an option you have to pay extra for on one or both. I have checked the Toyota web site and that did not answer my question. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 HiHY - Energy Flow Meter

You need to buy the NAVI option to get it.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

I've driven both standard and Limited versions of the HiHy and they both had it. In reviewing the brochure, the Multi-Function Display is standard in all Highlanders with the exception of the base model gasoline version.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bandito
I've driven both standard and Limited versions of the HiHy and they both had it. In reviewing the brochure, the Multi-Function Display is standard in all Highlanders with the exception of the base model gasoline version.
Well, according to the website, there IS a "3.5-inch multi-function display - includes backup monitor, clock, outside temperature, cruise information (avg. fuel economy, avg. speed, distance to empty, current fuel economy, and trip timer), warning messages and air conditioning (when front auto a/c is installed)"...

it does NOT saying ANYTHING about having the "energy flow meter" that is being questioned in this thread.

Bandito - Are you saying that you test drove a NON-NAVI "standard" version that HAD the "energy Flow Meter" in it? If so, how did it display that information as there is no NAVI screen on which to do it, right? If the "standard" version came with NAVI, yea it would be there. Are you saying that the "energy flow meter" is there on "NON_NAVI" HyHi? If so, this is different from the 2006 & 2007 models, right?

Old 11-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

From looking at Toyota's site, it appears that just like the 1st gen HiHy, you need the Navigation system to show the all of the screens of the Prius:

The "energy flow" screen. This one shows ALL energy flows. Even to the rear wheels.

The "consumption" screen. This one (as seen below on my Camry) shows fuel economy for the last 30 minutes of your drive.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

n8kwx - EXACTLY, thanks for the graphical illustrations

Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Question for anyone with a 2nd gen Highlander (with Nav).

Does your "consumption" screen show 1 minute bars like the Camry, or 5 minute bars like the older Highlander and Prius?

Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

The Multi-Function Display does show the energy flow in a non-NAV Highlander Hybrid. It is not as complex as the one on the NAV screen, but is there nonetheless.

At the top of the screen it shows the time and outside temperature. Just below that, it shows the current MPG on a horizontal bar graph. Below that, on the left side is a wheel and tire that rotate if the vehicle is moving. To the right of the wheel is an engine on top, displayed only when it is providing power to the wheels, and a battery underneath. The battery shows the charge state of the traction battery and there are arrows that indicate which way the power is flowing; to or from the battery and/or from the engine. It also displays 'EV' whenever you're only powered by the electric motor.

Yes, this is different than the previous Highlanders. It also has the displays mentioned above. There are about six or seven different screens altogether. Oh, and it also displays the five tire pressure readings as well.

Last edited by Bandito; 11-14-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast

I just picked up my 2008 Highlander Hybrid a few days ago. We have a 2006 Prius as well, so I'm pretty familiar with the basic 5-minute bar consumption screen.

The Highlander has the single minute bars, and it has a memory, so it's not wiped out every time the car is turned off. It looks very similar to the Camry screen shown above.

HOWEVER... It does NOT display average (or best) MPG. I've only had the car for a few days, but it's not there on the screen where I'm very used to seeing it. The minimal amount of poking around I've done hasn't yielded any results either.

Did Toyota remove this due to the vast amount of complaints and concerns it recieves from customers about not meeting the EPA MPG rating?

I will be reasonabily distraught if it's gone. Anyone have any ideas?

-Daroon

Old 11-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast

daroon,

It does display the average mileage on a couple of the screens. There are two of the simplified energy flow screens. The first one (right after the blank screen with only the time and outside temperature at the top) with the bar graph displays instantaneous mileage. If you keep switching the displays (I don't remember the exact order), another energy flow screen comes up with just digits where the bar graph is on the other screen. This is the average mileage since the last refuel.

There's also another screen with the number of miles you've traveled at the bottom and the average mileage just above it. I believe that this is the one that has the instructions to the left of the numbers saying to press and hold the display button to reset it (Yep, it is - see below). I've reset mine after each fill up, but I'm not sure that I need to as there is another screen that shows you the mileage since the last fill up. [Note: After re-reading the Owner's Manual, this one is more of a trip totaller. It keeps averaging until you reset it.] I suppose that you could just leave this one alone and track the average mileage over the life of the vehicle.

The Prior Mileage graph is automatically updated each time that you fill up and shows the last five readings.

Here's a picture that I just found of the average mileage screen.

Here's the After Refuel Mileage and Range screen.

Here's the Prior Mileage screen.

And, finally, here's a picture that I found of the standard MFD version of the Energy Flow display. The engine is off in this shot, but would display directly above the battery.

I hope that this helps.

Last edited by Bandito; 11-15-2007 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008 HiHY - Energy Flow Meter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands