2008 HiHY - Energy Flow Meter

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 HiHY - Energy Flow Meter

Originally Posted by Bandito
The Multi-Function Display does show the energy flow in a non-NAV Highlander Hybrid. It is not as complex as the one on the NAV screen, but is there nonetheless.

At the top of the screen it shows the time and outside temperature. Just below that, it shows the current MPG on a horizontal bar graph. Below that, on the left side is a wheel and tire that rotate if the vehicle is moving. To the right of the wheel is an engine on top, displayed only when it is providing power to the wheels, and a battery underneath. The battery shows the charge state of the traction battery and there are arrows that indicate which way the power is flowing; to or from the battery and/or from the engine. It also displays 'EV' whenever you're only powered by the electric motor.

Yes, this is different than the previous Highlanders. It also has the displays mentioned above. There are about six or seven different screens altogether. Oh, and it also displays the five tire pressure readings as well.
Ah, we've HAD the minimalistic Battery and spinning wheel for the entire time. Of course, that type of display does not show you any type of consumption information. There IS the regular "trip" information where you can get some VERY basic "averages" information. I am pretty certain that was not what the OP was seeking. But then again the screen in the above ^^ post also has a consumption bar that COULD be part of what the OP is seeking. that part IS new.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 HiHY - Energy Flow Meter

Bandito-

Thanks for your response! I'm not one to read the manual (it might do me some good), but I was able to find out how to switch between display screens on the small screen; there is a button on the steering wheel ("disp"). Unless I'm further mistaken, there is NO other way to switch between displays on the small screen, which seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Now that I've learned how to switch them, I have all the information I need. I don't have to sit and stare at my tire pressure all the time.

Speaking of: It's quite annoying how you can't tell which tire is which on the display! One of my tires is at 36, the others at 31 and 32. I sure hope it's the spare that's so far out of whack.

400 miles into the 2008 Highlander Hybrid, and absolutely loving it.

Thanks again,

-Daroon