ABS Silonoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default ABS Silonoid

Anybody else have problems with the ABS actuator making a clunk/clicking noise when stopped at a red light. About every 25-30 seconds you get a short clunk. Almost sounds like a bad relay.

Only happens when you foot is depressing the brake at a complete stop.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ABS Silonoid

Originally Posted by Chilly
Anybody else have problems with the ABS actuator making a clunk/clicking noise when stopped at a red light. About every 25-30 seconds you get a short clunk. Almost sounds like a bad relay.

Only happens when you foot is depressing the brake at a complete stop.
That light buzzing kind of noise? My Highlander Hybrid does it and my Prius did too, it's just recharging the brake system from what I was told, its normal. Just one of those awsome Hybrid sounds.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Default Re: ABS Solenoid (corrected spelling)

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
That light buzzing kind of noise? My Highlander Hybrid does it and my Prius did too, it's just recharging the brake system from what I was told, its normal. Just one of those awsome Hybrid sounds.
Nope. This isn't the buzz. It is heavy Thunk that happens about every 20-30 seconds when stopped and your foot is on the brake pedal. Doesn't happen during braking, but when stopped.

Had the dealer look at it today and he thinks the actuator needs to be replaced. I guess there is a TSB out on the Prius for a similar noise related to air in the actuator.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:26 PM

Quick Follow up. The HiHy went in last Friday and the ABS actuator was replaced. Thank god it was under warranty because this was 2000 part.

Talked to the tech some more about the issue and they believe that there may be a design flaw in the brake lines that is allowing air into the actuator that then causes the noise. There is supposedly a TSB out on the Prius for this issue. Right now there only solution was to replace the actuator, but there is no guarantee it won't return.

For now the noise is gone, so let's hope it is fixed permanently.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
no more oil

No

We never had that issue. But we will keep it in mind.