ABS, VSC and Brake Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast
Angry ABS, VSC and Brake Warning

I've got all 3 of these lights/warnings on in my 2008 Highlander Hybrid. The shorter story is that I was told the code was "ABS pump partially leaking" or bad... the guy told me that it really was no big deal, and that the ABS system might not work correctly but other than that no big deal. He's still looking into the cost of the repair but estimates the part at 1500.

The longer story is that I had another mechanic check it out a few days before (I was out of town with the car), hook up a computer and told me the code was "high or low battery voltage" ... he was a pretty basic guy and just reset the warning and told me to call back if it came on again (he wasn't even sure if it meant the starting battery or the hybrid battery).

Several months prior to that, my wife had been complaining the brakes were making a funny noise, sometimes when being used, sometimes just with the foot on the break at a red light. I confirmed this was the case, and took it to the local dealer with this story. $250 later they had "shaved down the rotors and replaced the pads." I got in to take it home, put my foot on the brake: same noise. I immediately brought it to their attention, and they took it back inside. 30 minutes later they told me it was "the main ABS braking computer" and that part went for $2900. I should look out for the ABS light coming on.

My problem with this dealer is that after 12 months of taking 2 hybrids to these guys, I've come to the conclusion they're basically crooks. Sorry Toyota, but the MO at this dealer is just to pursue the most costly possible repair job -- every time (Al Hendrickson, Coral Springs). As but one example (I've got two more), a year ago I was told that my Camry needed the water pump replaced based on their observation (car in for an oil change). Cost was nearly $600. So I decided to just watch the temp and see if anything was dripping underneath the car. A year later, no problem. Now, I don't doubt that there might be a little seepage around the seal, perhaps a little stain. But really, a year later I have no problem and they're insisting a $600 job was necessary? OK you get the point.

So I've got a dealer wanting to slap in a new motherboard, charge me 3k and maybe it works, maybe not. Another mechanic saying it's "a battery," and another telling me it's a pump.

The weirdest thing is that there does seem to be "weirdness" with the brakes: the noise I mentioned above, and a "grab/release" phenomenon when inching forward, as in, parking without trying to hit something like a parking pole or the front of your garage. Obviously, this has nothing to do with the ABS system.

I can't believe we've taken a rotor, pads, and hydraulic system and made it so freaking complicated it's impossible to troubleshoot! Any guidance greatly appreciated!

Old 12-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: ABS, VSC and Brake Warning

What is the code (codes) given when a scanner is hooked up to the car?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ABS, VSC and Brake Warning

I had all three of those come up on my TCH when I was using cheap BT adapter for OBD2 port.
I discontinued it and then ran decent scanner that could read ABS codes. There was something like a U code about fault in some communication system. I simply reset it and never came back.
I tried same adapter on my HiHy and sure enough in less than a month lights came up. Discontinued adapter and they never came back.