ACTUAL MPG versus car's MPG ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb ACTUAL MPG versus car's MPG ??

I'm curious ... what ACTUAL MPG are you getting versus what the car says your MPG? I've been figuring my MPG manually and just (yesterday) took note of the MPG per my HH. My HH said my average MPG was 26.4, BUT my manually calculated MPG is 25.5! Sucks!

I'd love to see your results ... Please make a note of your car's stated MPG and your actual MPG and post it here.

Thanks! and happy Hybriding!
DJ in California

Old 07-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: ACTUAL MPG versus car's MPG ??

DJ,

Many members have been calculating both each time they fill up. For many cars, the display is about 1 MPG higher over a long period of time. However, this says little of which is more accurate. While your display's estimate is based on a few changeable variables, the gas gauge on the meter also has some room for error. Without precise, scientific measuring techniques, it's near impossible to figure out an _exact_ value.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi HappyHiHy:

___I know EricBecky posts both his actual and dash results in the notes section of each tank for his Insight as do many others. It might be worth a look at a few members DB tanks among the many in the GH RHMDB to see where the Display vs. Calculated actually lye.

___Another item is this discussion has been batted around more then once here at GH. I bet you find what you are looking for with a few hits of the search function?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast

I've got a standard version of the HiHy (vs. limited)... so I only get "instantaneous mileage since I don't have the fancy-schmancy screen. My last tank I got 25.4 mpg.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: ACTUAL MPG versus car's MPG ??

My first tank of gas for the HH lasted for 433 miles before I filled up. Didn't get the low fuel light. Filled up about 13.5 gallons. Supposedly it is a 17 gallon tank. A little over 100 miles more than my 03 highlander I traded in. Got 32 AVG MPG

In essence I should be getting a little over 520 miles to a tank, right?

Last edited by Johnny 5; 08-06-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

I just drove round tripfrom Sacramento to San Diego and put 1,075 miles on my Highlander Hybrid Limited 4WDi. I was mostly in the fast lane going from 70 to 80 mph (sometimes faster). Traffic was heavy as usual in the LA and San Diego area. Going up the Grapevine was, as you might expect, no problem. My average mileage for the total trip was 27.8 mpg. No complaints from me regarding gas mileage. No problem getting the EPA estimated 31 mpg in town either. My calculated mileage versus what the computer says is the same (within reasonable error) Wes

Old 08-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast

Did you use your a/c on the trip often? Reason I ask is that I drove with a/c on most of time for 200 miles r/t long island to Boston and got 26 and 25 mpg.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Sarah - I would estimate that the A/C was on 90% of the entire trip. The temperture down to San Diego got as high as 105 and on the way home it reached 104. Wes

Old 08-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

Wes ...

How many miles are on your HH? I haven't posted my last two tanks (shame on me! ) but I think I'm getting around 26-27 with almost 100% highway on my last tanks. I think I'm now over 3000 miles on my HH 4wd Limited.

Thanks for posting ...

Happy Hybriding!
DJ

Old 08-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

We have a little over 4,500 miles on the Highlander Hybrid. We took delivery on June 5th. BTW, it is a Bluestone 4WDi Limited with Navigation. I also have the factory running boards. So far I am very pleased.

Quick Reply: ACTUAL MPG versus car's MPG ??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands