Adding more battery capacity?

Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Adding more battery capacity?

So the HiHy factory NiMH traction battery puts out a nominal 288v and about 1.9kWh. What would happen if a guy were to wire in a second battery with a dc/dc converter to, say a couple Chevrolet Volt battery cells (48v and 2kWh each) with a plug in charger? Could add 4kWh quite easily. The Volt battery cells are really quite compact, and I could build a wood enclosure and cover in carpet, just like a subwoofer box, and place it behind the third row seat... theoretically... I think it could drastically improve the mileage of the HiHy in low speed driving. There’s a company that makes such a unit for the Prius, but the Prius uses a 201v battery pack, so I highly doubt their off-the-shelf unit could work in a HiHy. Am I nuts for wanting to build something similar myself or does it seem feasible?

Old 11-19-2018, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Adding more battery capacity?

Could easily also add a pair of 48v solar cells to the (relatively flat) roof of the HiHy to charge the two Volt cells for ‘free’ while parked during work or something...

Old 11-19-2018, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Adding more battery capacity?

Doesn’t necessarily need to be a GM Volt battery... Nissan Leaf cells are an option as well, can get 3kWh and 48v quite easily/cheap, and even more compact than the Volt pack.