Advice on whether to buy 2013 Highlander Hybrid (39K miles)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Advice on whether to buy 2013 Highlander Hybrid (39K miles)

Hi everyone - I am trying to decide whether or not to buy a used Highlander Hybrid from CarMax. It's a 2013 and has 39K miles, and it has 3 rows (important for me because I have carpools, etc.) I currently drive a minivan (which is terrible, mostly because of gas mileage of about 16 mpg). I'm narrowed my choices down to a new Honda Odyssey minivan or the CarMax Highlander Hybrid.

I love the Highlander but I'm risk averse and am worried about buying a used hybrid car. Mostly I am concerned about the battery and what repair prices might be. Also, the used Highlander is about $2500 more than a new minivan. It's hard to pay more for a used car than a new car, though they're apples and oranges because one is a hybrid. It's hard to know if the risk of battery failure is worth it, plus, if gas stays low, then it takes longer to "break even", if that makes sense.

Are you guys happy with your Highlander Hybrids - do you feel it was the best choice? Were any of you looking at minivans and went with a Highlander Hybrid instead - and why?

Thank you so much!!