Brake mechanism noise (pads? calipers? ABS?)

Old 04-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Brake mechanism noise (pads? calipers? ABS?)

Hello,

We have a 2010 HiHyLtd with 70K miles and ever since we bought it used at 63K miles it has been making a strange noise (something like "eek, eek") from the brake mechanism(s) at -or just before - coming to a complete stop. (I'll double-check, but I think that I can just be sitting in the garage and then pump the brake pedal and get the same noise.) Could this be noise coming from the calipers after this many mostly highway miles on salt covered Ohio roads?

During discussions about our brake noise a Dealer mentioned that the brake pads are only used heavily during the last "few seconds" of braking action and that it is the "regenerative" braking that does most of the braking before that point. The Dealer's theory is that the pads are slightly glazed at this mileage and that is causing the noise - but since the same noise occurs when completely stopped I'm hesitant to believe this.

It looks like the 1st Generation HiHy's (at least 2005-2006) had a lot of issues with the "ABS actuator". Does anyone know if our 2nd Generation 2010 has the same ABS component(s) and maybe the same problems? Could the ABS actuator be making a nose when ABS is not being actuated?

Thanks,
Kent

Old 05-17-2014, 02:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake mechanism noise (pads? calipers? ABS?)

There are several parts to the braking system and yes your 2010 does share many of the same parts as the early Highlander Hybrids. I have serious doubts about what your dealer is saying especially if you can replicate the sound when in park. The next key would be whether the brakes make the same sound when the system is totally off (ie vehicle completely off). If it still does the sound when the brake pedal is pushed with the car totally off, then it may be a mechanical issue with the caliper/pads getting stuck (remove and lube pads and sliders with brake grease) or perhaps the pivot under the dash for the brake pedal is squeaking. I would suggest doing a bit more work by having someone else push the pedal while you listen for the sound and see if you can narrow down exactly where it is coming from (this includes looking under the hood and rolling under the vehicle if need be). Post what you find and we should be able to get it solved.

Last edited by MTL_HiHy; 05-17-2014 at 02:51 AM.